Basic LIFT KIT questions

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
bumpkinboy

I'm totally new at this (mods), so forgive my ignorance. I would really like to raise the height of my Kiz a few inches. I live in hill/farm country, and have to navigate many dirt roads and gravel lanes. I bottom out all the time. Or pick up branches that stick underneath and drag, etc.

Only 'lift kit' I could find is a 'universal' one from Tuff Country:
http://www.partstrain.com/store/index.p ... Lift%20Kit

So I have several questions for any of you familiar with lift kits.

Can a universal kit actually work? I get vibes that you really MUST have a specific kit designed for your car - other web sites etc. I haven't been able to find a specific kit for the Kizashi, however.

What are the downsides to doing this? Will my car topple over on the first hard turn I take? :o Will my warranty be voided?

Appreciate any help that anyone can give. Thanks in advance.
~tc~

A universal kit can work, but none of those will as we don't have leaf springs. You would need spacers that go on top of the strut and push everything down. This typically has a negative effect on ride quality, and can make the camber hard to align. Note that you are not increasing the travel any, just resetting the "center" point where the car sits under its own weight. The drooped and stuffed positions of the wheels will be exactly the same.

A better solution IMHO is higher rate springs so the suspension doesn't compress as much when you hit a bump, however, the best solution is buy a vehicle more appropriate to the type of driving you do.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
bumpkinboy

Hmmmm ... thanks TC.

I really love the Kizashi - best car I've ever owned. And probably the ONLY car I'll ever keep more than 3 years. I got rid of the Audi A4 Quattro (too expensive to maintain), the Nissan Murano (too big), and the Nissan Sentra (no AWD - couldn't make it up my lane in the winter).

Here in south central PA, we have the nicest, silkiest, best maintained roads imaginable. True! I've never seen better roads, anywhere. They're all twisty and turny, too - great fun with the Kiz. Except when I have to go off-road to visit friends etc. Or get home. Or try to run through 5"-6" of new snow, and the Kiz acts like a snowplow, picking up all the snow in the front 'til it bogs down. :-(

Outback did it right with their higher clearance height - makes sense when you *need* AWD. But I guess the bottom line is --- you can't have everything. At present. I will let Suzuki know of my wishes, fwiw.

Thanks again.