Stereo overhaul !

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
wyliec

The RF system really isn't that great. Although the stock RF setup sounds decent compared to some factory setups, it's no match for a proper aftermarket setup. I really like to enjoy my music while driving, and there are just too many things I don't like about the stereo. The USB feature is next to useless to try and find the song you want. At low volumes it sounds ok but the front stage still sucks and it lacks in detail and clarity. For some reason the cd volume is way lower than the tuner's, and at volumes past 18 or 19 the midrange bumps up, the bass drops out, and ruins the sound quality completely. It's as if the system is tuned to keep going louder without the power to back it up. Which it doesn't. How they claim 425W rms out of a tiny little amp with little power wires the same size as the speaker wire is a mystery. The fact it can drive an 8" sub with any authority at all is a miracle. I've had real RF amps that were only 25W per channel that would put this little imposter of a real RF amp to shame.

The equipment list will be:

-Alpine INA-W910 head unit, with bt, nav, usb, hd radio, and optical output.
-Alpine MRA-F350 digital amplifier, 50W x 5, with Dolby digital, prologic, and DTS decoding and 17 band P-eq with time alignment and seperate F/R/C/Sub x-overs as well, all controllable from the HU.
-The stock speakers will be retained for now, I will give them a chance with the bump in power and a clean signal. We'll see if they sound better. If not I have some Alpine components ready to go.
-Undecided on the sub. I might leave the stock amp powering it,or I might try a bigger amp. If either of those don't work out I will end up removing it in favour of a conventional box.
-Scosche daskit, harness and antenna adapter is ordered and on its way,
-optical cable from HU to amp is on its way,
-Pac steering wheel interface is already here.

I should be able to get a much better front stage with the Alpine setup. I had the amp in a previous install and having seperate eq's and crossovers for front, rear, and center makes a big difference in getting everything balanced out. As is, the poor center speaker isn't really adding anything to the front stage at all. As soon as all the necessary pieces get here, I'll be sure to post plenty of pics of the install and wiring.

Here's the stock amp for anyone who hasn't seen it:

Barely bigger than my hand!

And the Kizashi getting the upgrade:

Northernstar

nice~~please keep us posted
how much does it cost approx??
will2k

Goodluck man! I just installed a stereo in mine and although it tooks weeks of work ( kept raining inbetween lol ) i'm glad i did it myself.

The stock speakers were so shit! I don't have the rockford fosgate system in mine. The stock speakers weighed nothing and looked as if they were made from paper lol The 2 x Alpine 6.5" 80w rms i put in are much better.
MODS: catback exhaust, RRM SRI, 6000k HID, white led's all round, 22% tint, Rear swaybar, LED drl's, chrome stealth turn signal, scanguage II.

Sound system: 2 x Alpine 6.5" speakers, 2ch Pioneer amp and Fusion 10" subwoofer tube
wyliec

I have most of my peices now, I'm still waiting for my optical cable to be able to use my amp. I will be putting the deck in today anyway, and just run it through the factory amp for now. The stock deck is out, really nothing special, it's made by Panasonic. I would bet the standard stereo is exactly the same, minus the little RF emblem on the front denoting the premium upgrade. There is nothing RF about the head unit, only the speakers and amp. I'll toss some pics up a little later.
hans

Hi wyliec,

I know this is an old thread im just thinking about upgrading my 2010 kizashi head unit, but not sure what the factory amplifier is running, i cant find any information regarding the amp or if the head unit is running all the speakers, I'm assuming the amp is just powering the sub but not too sure.

any help or advice you could offer i'd greatly appreciate it

Regards