Help me watch for name changes

Information regarding future changes to the Kizashi. Press releases regarding the car and motorsports related topics go here.
Moto
Site Admin

I have a feeling that the Kizashi will eventually end up back in the US flying under a new name.

Suzuki will still be producing the kizashi, and they have some ties with Fiat and Nissan, but they are not official partners yet.

Please help me watch for any news regarding name changes.

Nissan has a full line up of cars so they aren't too likely, but fiat/dodge has some open slots.

If exchange rates improve the kizashi will be back.
KuroNekko

I would say that your hunch is probably a good one. I have read that Suzuki spent over $1 billion on the development and production of the Kizashi. Coincidentally, the kanji character (Japanese version of the Chinese character) for "kizashi" also means a billion. Kekeke. It may be why it's such a good car. I have my doubts that Suzuki will want to forever give up on a rather good market for the car (USA) even if they continue to sell the Kizashi in other places.

I also have doubts about Nissan bringing the car as one of theirs. Nissan is a huge company will a full line-up. They already have the Altima and Maxima. The reason Suzuki has Nissan's truck as the Equator was because Nissan was having some Suzuki kei-cars badged as their own in Japan. Nissan actually does not make their own kei-cars. Suzuki is basically the go-to brand in kei-cars with the strongest rival being Toyota-controlled Daihatsu.

Suzuki has partnered up with FIAT to get some of their small diesel engines for foreign markets. Since FIAT owns Chrysler, Chrysler can't complain if FIAT brings some FIAT branded Suzukis into the US. I have heard that FIAT wants to get back into the US with a broader line-up. The Fiat 500 was the intro feeler car to see how well it and the brand did in the US.
I would say that the best possibility of the Kizashi coming back is as a midsize Fiat. It may even be offered with a FIAT-sourced diesel which would make it very interesting as a VW TDI fighter.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
chazyouwin

I expressed this same idea in another thread, even mentioning Nissan and Fiat. What clears the way for this tie-in possibility is the rejection in bankruptcy of the dealerships. One needs to monitor what Suzuki does with the Kizashi in other world-wide markets.
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
red rider

I had read on an automotive website I believe last week or the week before that Suzukli Maruti in India had stopped selling the Kizashi and was offerin
g steep discounts?
tbogan

It's definitely an interesting thought. Neither Chrysler nor Nissan has an awd sedan so I could see a rebadged kizashi making sense for both companies given the right circumstances. Let's face it, the Kizashi is a tweener so even companies that have a compact and a mid size entry could potentially add it without too much overlap. They'd probably lose the FWD models altogether but I could see it sold as an AWD enthusiast alternative for Chrysler or Nissan giving Nissan a competitive entry to Subaru and Chrysler an alternative to a Fusion AWD which as nice as it may be will set you back $35k.
Moto
Site Admin

we will see what happens.

Sorry Chazy I missed your post or I would have credited you.

Red rider. Thanks for the information I hadn't seen that yet.

I do expect the price would probably go up if it is sold under another name, but maybe it would stay in the same ball park.

I know my saab 92x aero was about 4-6k more than its suabru WRX mother. I don't think they ever sold many at full retail value though.
chazyouwin

I think the Buick Regal might be a proxy for Kizashi, as it is the same size but more expensive (approx. $6000 more comparably equipped). The word was that the Buick Regal was selling slowly - not a good sign.
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
~tc~

Imported cars are very heavily taxed in India (100% import duty) - you're talking very serious money.

Fiat has PLENTY of models in the European market they would import before a rebadged model from the Japanese.

Chrysler has AWD 300, a whole Jeep line of parts to make whatever the hell AWD model they want.

Sorry - chances are slim to none you will see the Kizashi in the US again.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
KuroNekko

I am not at all surprised about the Kizashi not doing well in India.
Maruti Suzuki is the biggest car seller in India, but nearly all the cars are subcompacts. Even the Swift is considered the nicer car as the main seller is the smaller & cheaper Alto, I believe.
India is a developing country and most people aren't going to be able to afford the "luxury" Kizashi.
The US would have been a good market had Suzuki of America not blown it with marketing. I was always shocked to see how little Suzuki Corp of Japan meddled with the affairs of the disastrous Suzuki of America. Honda and Toyota would have never let such an obvious and drawn-out failure occur. They would have sent an army of Japanese corporate types to remedy the nonsense in the States.

I also think the Kizashi would do okay in Europe, especially in Russia. It seems the Russians like Suzuki.
The Kizashi is also sold in Japan, but Japan is a country that really caters Kei-cars like Suzuki's Wagon R.
China would possibly be the best market for the Kizashi, but the current anti-Japanese sentiment in China has really hurt the sales of Japanese cars there.
I image South American countries like Brazil prefer cheaper cars like the Alto and the Swift.

Hmmm, where does the Kizashi belong now?
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)