Popular Mechanics Pisses on Kizashi's Grave

Information regarding future changes to the Kizashi. Press releases regarding the car and motorsports related topics go here.
smsmart

sx4rocious wrote:This is pretty much the reason the Kia Optima, Mitsubishi Galant, Subaru Legacy, and several other great new midsized cars aren't selling well.
The Optima? Really? Where I live, I see Optima's everywhere. To me it seems like the Kia Optima and Hyundai Sonata are some of the best selling mid-sizers at the moment.
bootymac

Journalists kept referring to the Kizashi as the industry's "best kept secret." Too bad secrets don't sell :roll:
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:
SamirD wrote:The first time I heard of Suzuki was with the Aerio SX. This thing sold like crazy! And then they stopped making it for some reason--just in time for Honda to release the fit and capitalize on the market Suzuki created. :roll:

The swift would have been the perfect replacement for the Aerio. It was slightly larger, and well established in other markets (aka no major bugs). It would have really launched them as a brand for sure.

Of course, if they would have done this, the Kizashi may never have been born or this cheap for me to pick up, so I guess with every bad comes some good. :|
The Aerio was replaced by the SX4. The Swift is actually a car under that class.
Think of the models like this:

Honda Fit = Suzuki Swift
Honda Civic = Suzuki SX4
Honda Accord = Suzuki Kizashi

The mistake Suzuki made was pushing the unpopular SX4 on North Americans while not importing the Swift that more people would have wanted. I have read in many automotive sites that people wanted the Swift, but it never came. It's critically acclaimed in the markets it's sold in and I would argue it's Suzuki's best product.
They really blew their chance as it's a better car than most of the subcompact competition, especially years ago.
and I think that is where they really miss the boat. Well they moved to a midsize car everyone started wanting of a subcompact . It was a fatal move in the wrong direction
kizashigal

Still love my car, have had no mechanical issues whatsoever, runs great, fun to drive, yada, yada the list goes on. I was sold on the car because it fit my budget and was one of the few cars on the market with AWD that didn't break the bank as well as great safety features. I'd probably still be driving a Honda if it wasn't totaled by hail, but glad it was. 44k miles on it so far, and I have 56K to go with the bumper to bumper that I purchased. Let's hope I wasted my money on the extended warranty!
2011 Kizzy SE AWD Deep Sea Blue

*drive it like you stole it*
CLLee

Over here in Australia, the Swift is very popular. It's everywhere. It's a well established car in its segment.

On the other hand, I read they sold only 5000 Kizashi's since 2010.
Marketing is to blame. I don't recall seeing a Kizashi ad on TV since early 2011. They were those flashy quick scene change ones that don't show the car enough or high light any of the features.
Even Suzuki promo flyers often omit the Kizashi in their line up. Almost like they don't want to sell the car.

At first people were intrigued but never build enough confidence to buy one.

A number of friends and family have bought new cars since. Despite being impress with my Kizashi (comfort and equipment level), they didn't even consider it and bought a Toyota, Honda, Mazda and VW, because it's more 'reputable.'

Sad that it didn't pick up. I love my car. I'm constantly reminded of that every time I drive one of the family's other cars :)
sx4rocious

smsmart wrote:The Optima? Really? Where I live, I see Optima's everywhere. To me it seems like the Kia Optima and Hyundai Sonata are some of the best selling mid-sizers at the moment.
No doubt the Sonata is a great seller. Where I live (West central Indiana) we are the "auto-dealer's hub" of the central Illinois and Indiana area. Granted it's a VERY sparsly populated area, but we have dealerships from Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Chrysler, Hyundai, Nissan, Kia, Buick, Caddy, Mitsubishi, Jeep, and GMC all within about 2 miles right in the middle of town. Lots of Competition=better deals. You see a sea ( :lol: ) of Hyundais sold around here, and why not? they're a great car for a great price. I haven't seen more than about 3 new Impalas, a handful of the new Fusions, NO Mitsubishis, lots of Caddys and Buicks, Dodge really doesn't have anything to compare in this segment, Chrysler has sold a few 200 and 300's, but there have only been MAYBE 5 or 6 Optima's around here. They are HEAVILY outsold by the Hyundais around here. And this is with the dealers practically giving them away!! I priced on the other day well equipped with GDI and turbo for $22k. i don't understand at all, but they sure aren't selling well here....
sx4rocious

KuroNekko wrote:
SamirD wrote:The first time I heard of Suzuki was with the Aerio SX. This thing sold like crazy! And then they stopped making it for some reason--just in time for Honda to release the fit and capitalize on the market Suzuki created. :roll:

The swift would have been the perfect replacement for the Aerio. It was slightly larger, and well established in other markets (aka no major bugs). It would have really launched them as a brand for sure.

Of course, if they would have done this, the Kizashi may never have been born or this cheap for me to pick up, so I guess with every bad comes some good. :|
The Aerio was replaced by the SX4. The Swift is actually a car under that class.
Think of the models like this:

Honda Fit = Suzuki Swift
Honda Civic = Suzuki SX4
Honda Accord = Suzuki Kizashi

The mistake Suzuki made was pushing the unpopular SX4 on North Americans while not importing the Swift that more people would have wanted. I have read in many automotive sites that people wanted the Swift, but it never came. It's critically acclaimed in the markets it's sold in and I would argue it's Suzuki's best product.
They really blew their chance as it's a better car than most of the subcompact competition, especially years ago.
I actually agree with both of you here. I first realized that Suzuki made cars with the Areo. I drove a number of them and almost bought one. My wife LOVED it, but the dealer wouldn't come down enough, so we went with a Jetta instead. Fast Forward almost 10 years and after the complete anialation of my poor nissan Versa at the hooves of three suicidal demon deer, and I happened across a lonely SX4 sitting on a Honda lot here in town.

i had never seen one in person and I like the look, so I test drove it. I bought it on the spot which is something I almost never do.... I love the car more than any other vehicle I've ever owned. I get bored easily, but havehad the SX4 for 2 years and have no plans on trading. I say this now, but if there were a Swift sitting on the lot, I definately think I would be driving it instead, as AWD was an added bonus, not a necessity, as evident in the FWD Kizashi we now own as well.

The thing is, we will never really know how well the Swift would have done. The Fit and Yaris sell well here, but then again, the Civic and Corolla do as well. The same Honda dealer I bought my SX4 from used to sell Suzuki and couldn't sell a SX4 if they paid you to take one, but they sell 10 Fits a week. Once again, I don't understand, but I sure wish I would have had the option to buy a swift.....
SamirD

sx4rocious wrote:I love the car more than any other vehicle I've ever owned.
My wife loves her sx4 as well. It's in India and she only drives it when she goes back once a year, but it's her baby and the family car. She told me all about the car before I saw it in person, and it's deceivingly roomy inside, with 5 of us able to pack in with (relative to India) room to spare.

The funniest part about it is how we both still sit in our same spots since it's RHD. :lol: It's just the steering wheel that moves.
sx4rocious

SamirD wrote:The funniest part about it is how we both still sit in our same spots since it's RHD. :lol: It's just the steering wheel that moves.
haha! that does sound funny! Hey maybe next time she goes home, I could talk her into bringing me back some authentic Suzuki sport stuff!! LOL

And BTW, if you ever drive from MKE to HSV, let me know, as I'm pretty sure you would be driving within a few miles of me!!
SamirD

sx4rocious wrote:
SamirD wrote:The funniest part about it is how we both still sit in our same spots since it's RHD. :lol: It's just the steering wheel that moves.
haha! that does sound funny! Hey maybe next time she goes home, I could talk her into bringing me back some authentic Suzuki sport stuff!! LOL

And BTW, if you ever drive from MKE to HSV, let me know, as I'm pretty sure you would be driving within a few miles of me!!
Definitely. 8-) Her uncle is a big-wig with Suzuki there and huge car nut. I'm sure I could easily get any part you wanted as long as I had the Suzuki part numbers. The problem will be importing them back into the states. I've actually brought jdm part numbers to my Nissan dealership and they could order anything I wanted if I was willing to wait for the boat. 8-)

Funny you mentioned that as I have to drive the Kizashi from MKE to HSV and back soon. It would be nice to stop somewhere to take a break and talk cars with great people like yourself. 8-) It will probably be in the next two weeks. I just have to get the title from the previous owner and snow tires mounted and I'll be on my way!