European Suzuki Kizashi Sedan to Bow at Geneva Motor Show

Information regarding future changes to the Kizashi. Press releases regarding the car and motorsports related topics go here.
vwoom

At this year's International Motor Show in Geneva in the beginning of March, Suzuki will unveil the European market version of its new Kizashi saloon that's already on sale in North America and Japan. In Europe, Suzuki's mid-size sedan will play in the D-segment rivaling cars such as the Ford Mondeo, Citroen C5, Toyota Avensis, VW Passat and Opel Insignia.

The company said that it will offer the Kizashi with all-wheel drive as standard while power will be provided by the same 2.4-liter gasoline engine used on the N.A.-spec model.

The four-cylinder unit churns out 185 HP when linked to a six-speed manual gearbox and 178HP when mated to a CVT.

The Japanese maker is also planning to expand the Kizashi's range in the very near future with a more powerful V6 petrol engine as well as a hybrid version, though it is not clear if these variants will make it to Europe.

We don't know yet if it's technically feasible (and economically viable), but Suzuki's recent tie up with Volkswagen could see the Kizashi sedan being offered with a much-needed in Europe, diesel engine sourced from the German Group.

Together with the Kizashi, Suzuki will also display in Geneva the Swift Plug-in Hybrid that was first introduced at last fall's Tokyo Motor Show as well as new variants of the three-and five-door Grand Vitara with a redesigned rear hatch that does away with the spare tire box.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/01/eu ... ow-at.html
-----

Sure hope VWAG would shoe horn the current 2.0 TDI to the Kizashi...would love it to see it available for the USDM. That'll be sure bet for my next ride!!

A dependable Japanese mid-size with a torque monster German diesel..the best of both worlds! 8-)
Moto
Site Admin

At first I was a little concerned that VW was grabbing a share of Suzuki, but now I'm starting to think it is a good thing. It might be the only way that Suzuki can survive in North America.

A TDI version of the Kizashi could be amazing. It might help people start accepting the new price tags that suzuki is using. However, Suzuki may need to start re-badging their cars as VWs.
vwoom

I found this news link that mentions Suzuki to utilize TDI's from VW...
---
Suzuki will have diesel engines from VW

After Volkswagen bought 19.9% of Suzuki, the Japanese will to move from the current generation of diesels, that were from Renault and Peugeot, to the TDI engines provided by VW.

After VW bought 19.9% of Suzuki and the two sides announced a partnership that consists mainly of technological collaborations, the Japanese will go on TDI. Osamu Suzuki, Suzuki’s general manager, announced the review of their partnerships with both Renault and the PSA group, and intent to buy diesel engines from VW.

“The alliance between Suzuki and Volkswagen is very close. We do researches in all fields, including those of hybrid cars, diesel-electric or we try to learn from them” said the Japanese company director. The two manufacturers are studying the possibility of using common platforms and components.

Despite the links in research and development, the two brands plan to keep separate sales networks. “Suzuki does will not use the network of distributors of Volkswagen in North America or China, nor Volkswagen will do the same in India” said Osamu Suzuki. Maruti-Suzuki has the highest number of cars sold in India, and VW is the best selling car brand in China.

http://play-auto.net/2010/01/suzuki-wil ... s-from-vw/
---

Hope to see a Kizashi TDI come into fruition soon...

Btw, regarding Suzuki's as rebadged VW's..I think it would be the other way around. Just like the previous GMDAT sourced Suzuki arrangement, Suzuki "might" rebadge VWAG's umbrella products as Suzuki's (in order to boost Suzuki's vehicle lineup in the USDM, etc)...though hopefully not replicating the "ill-repute" image of the old Daewoo scheme this time around.

I'd bet the next XL7 would be based from the 2nd-gen Touareg/Cayenne/Q7 platform already in development...but that belongs to another forum. ;)
Moto
Site Admin

Btw, regarding Suzuki's as rebadged VW's..I think it would be the other way around. Just like the previous GMDAT sourced Suzuki arrangement, Suzuki "might" rebadge VWAG's umbrella products as Suzuki's (in order to boost Suzuki's vehicle lineup in the USDM, etc)...though hopefully not replicating the "ill-repute" image of the old Daewoo scheme this time around.
:roll: looks like you basically hit that one on the head.
sambansal

Maruti suzuki kizashi in india

MARUTI SUZUKI is all set to launch its much awaited D-segment car Kizashi, a sedan by the end of January. Pronounced 'Kee-Zah-Shee' which in Japanese means 'something great is coming', it is an executive sedan to be launched in the third week of January 2011.
Launch Date and other deatils on >> Automobile Industry India
TheHolyGhost

What I'm really jealous of is the AWD+manual combination.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
metatrox

I love my Jetta TDI. I kinda wish the Kizashi had the kinda torque feel it has. A nice TDI Kizashi would be right up my alley.
2010 SLS, Platinum Silver.
xwiredtva

I'd gladly take a TDI. But I will NEVER give up Suzuki Engine Quality for a turbo german... Unless it's built in Japan of course.

But I think once Suzuki Direct Injects this engine we'll see power climb to 210-220hp and with the redesigned JATCO 2012 CVT we'll see the off-line performance of the Kizashi exceed that of it's competition. Then we'll see them release a 6spd AWD and see what the numbers are, but I think that pre-lim market reports showed Auto/AWD and Inexpensive Manual's saw higher numbers. The Suzuki 3.2L V6 would be a DREAM come true in the Kizzi but I think the problem there may be the Auto or a lack of FWD manual capable of holding back some 240hp with 220 ft-lb's. That's one hella engine! I owned an XL7 with it's poppa 2.7L and with a little tuning that V6 screamed that truck with 30" tires to 60 in 8.0 flat.

OFF TOPIC SORTA: Let's face it guys/gals those of us who CAN drive a manual are few. 2/3 of the US Top Gear presenters can drive stick, one just learned. Adam is the only one who deserves a spot on that show next year, just an FYI. He sticks up for the Suzuki SX4 Sportback and TIm Allen is a dumb schmuck who can't turn a car which is why he drives what he does. I remember a poll years and years ago, I think it was late 90's, that said 1/7th of the US Public can drive a manual. I always bought a manual because I could get them cheaper, it felt better to drive, they were faster and it was hard to buy a sports car in an auto (Ego).

But I think VW purchased the 20% from GM at a steep discount (Suzuki stock has never gone down and Suzuki has never been in the red since 1981) because they saw a company that's got it right. VW also wants to be the largest car company in the world and with the likes of Hyundai, who builds more junk than all the US care companies did in the 80's, they are going to have issues. They have tried to buy more Suzuki stock to which the CEO/CFO of Suzuki have told them NO in a not so nice way.

Suzuki operates it's company in seperate regions. So Suzuki Motors of USA is not exactly Suzuki of Japan. So USA can ORDER 3.2L V6 Kizzies and Japan will find a way to make them. I think if USA is reading these forums they need to consider production in USA or Canada. Japan is not going to produce these cars at prices that make USA a big enough profit which means USA will drop the model. You can't sell a 4cyl Sport Sedan and make it with a price over $30k. Just ask Saab and our 2.4L is not far from their 2.0L-T in terms of HP... In terms of fun it wins. But 184 - 200 is not much of a difference and my old 9-3 was no where as good as my Kizzi.

So the Germans marching in with the Japanese... Seen it. It never works out.
tigerbangs54

If the Kizashi is going to succeed in Europe, it will certainly need to have a diesel engine, as most cars in this class in Europe are sold in diesel form. The VW TDI engine is an obvious choice, but we can only hope that Suzuki will build it in Japan and not take one from Mexico or Germany, for quality's sake
vwoom

Yeah, I'd rather see a Suzuki manufactured (read as reliable) VW V6, a TDI (or a 2.0T) under licensed from VW...mimicking previous engine agreements between former partner GM and Suzuki.

Btw, in the Kizashi Wiki page...I noticed an update recently popped out mentioning (besides the J24B), a 3.6L and a 2.0L turbo diesel for the Euro market..sounds like VW alright (though no source was mentioned).

"The engine lineup will supposedly include two petrol engines displacing 2.4L and 3.6L respectively, as well as a 2.0L turbodiesel unit for European markets..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Kizashi