How to change Oil

Where DIYs with photos live. Please start new topics in DIY section. Completed DIYs are moved here for clutter control and quicker reference.
KuroNekko

jono6406 wrote:One thing they forgot to mention is to fill the new filter about half way up with the new oil before screwing it back on.
It's actually not necessary. I did it too for my other cars with filters that mounted top side up, but the general consensus is that it's not necessary. Given that our cars are side-mounted filters, it could cause spills.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Kelevra

What is the OEM Suzuki filter that everyone is using?
I'd like to buy a handful of them.
nytq

Using Mobil 1 products since first change. The M-103 filter works great.
2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
Kelevra

nytq wrote:Using Mobil 1 products since first change. The M-103 filter works great.
Thank you, I may purchase a Mob 1.

I was curious as to what the factory uses as I still have a bit of miles to go before I do my first change-out.
nytq

This is the OEM filter. P/N 1651061A31 goes for about 8 bucks plus shipping from http://www.oemsuzukiparts.com
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (6.46 KiB) Viewed 8977 times
2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
KuroNekko

I also use a Mobil 1 oil filter.
While OEM filters are fine, they are usually a tier below premium filters like Mobil 1, K&N, Purolator PureOne, etc. which have synthetic filter media, more pleats, and have a higher burst resistance (not too important unless you have a modded racer or offroader).

I find that these better filters are easier to find in any auto parts store so I go for them instead of putting the greater effort to seek out a Suzuki filter.

These primo filters cost more, but with a synthetic oil change, I am extending my oil change interval therefore would rather use the better filter and change oil less frequently.
murcod

I don't know what Suzuki USA is like, but I've always found it a good idea to stick with OEM oil filters during the warranty period. Then, if something happens to your engine the dealer can't try and blame it on non OEM parts.
David
Kelevra

Great info, thanks fellers.
~tc~

KuroNekko wrote:These primo filters cost more, but with a synthetic oil change, I am extending my oil change interval therefore would rather use the better filter and change oil less frequently.
With the factory interval already at 7500 miles, what are you extending it to? Did you have a used engine oil analysis done?
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
KuroNekko

~tc~ wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:These primo filters cost more, but with a synthetic oil change, I am extending my oil change interval therefore would rather use the better filter and change oil less frequently.
With the factory interval already at 7500 miles, what are you extending it to? Did you have a used engine oil analysis done?
I don't have an owners' manual so I did not know the factory recommended interval was 7500 miles. That is pretty high (as is with most modern cars), but that interval is for normal driving. I think for "severe" driving which includes city stop-and-go traffic (applies to me), the interval is around 5000 miles.

I typically change my oil around every 6000 to 7000 miles. Kind of sounds weird, but I can feel the difference in my engine performance. After about 5500 miles on the oil, I can feel the engine performance go down a bit. After an oil change, the engine becomes more livelier and more responsive. Maybe it's in my head but I have noticed this over multiple oil changes in both my old car and in the Kizashi.

I have not had an used oil analysis done. I think that extending the OCI to something like every 10,000 miles with a quality oil filter and full synthetic oil should be fine for this car, but not sure if I would do it myself.
I am not one of those people who changes oil religiously at a certain interval so I usually do it when the weather is nice and I have free time to do so. Even then, I have never gone past 8000 miles on a syn oil.