Kizashi OE and KYB Strut and Shock Part Numbers.

Where DIYs with photos live. Please start new topics in DIY section. Completed DIYs are moved here for clutter control and quicker reference.
KuroNekko

The topic of replacement shocks, especially for the rear, is a hot topic. The Kizashi has an issue with premature rear shock failure due to a faulty rear bump stop design.
See thread on that here:
http://kizashiclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3186

While Suzuki issued a Technical Service Bulletin on the matter, apparently the issue is only fixed by Suzuki if the vehicle is under warranty. Given most Kizashis now are out of the bumper-to-bumper warranty, many folks are looking to replace the shocks on their own to avoid the high dealer parts costs. However, there is quite some confusion regarding the Kizashi's struts and shocks with Suzuki part numbers and aftermarket KYB shocks. This guide is intended to provide specific part numbers.

First, Suzuki has different part numbers for both the front struts and the rear shocks based on the Kizashi vs. Kizashi Sport (henceforth referred to "Non-Sport" and "Sport" models, respectively). The Kizashi Sport debuted in model year 2011 and all GTS and SLS trim models are Kizashi Sports since 2011. However, all 2010 models are non-Sport models. The 2010 GTS and SLS use the same struts and shocks as lower trim models.

Here is the part number listing from an Original Equipment parts site referencing Suzuki part numbers:

Non-Sport Kizashi (All 2010 models)
Front, Right, Manual Trans. Strut 4160157L01
Front, Left, Manual Trans. Strut 4160257L01

Front, Right, Automatic Trans. Strut 4160157L11
Front, Left, Automatic Trans. Strut 4160257L11

Rear Shock for both sides/both trans. 4181057L00

Kizashi Sport (All GTS and SLS 2011 and up)
Front, Right, Manual Trans. Strut 4160157LA1
Front, Left, Manual Trans. Strut 4160257LA1

Front, Right, Automatic Trans. Strut 4160157LB1
Front, Left, Automatic Trans. Strut 4160257LB1

Rear Shock for both sides/both trans. 4181057L50

Note: FWD vs. AWD makes no difference in the part numbers for the struts and shocks.

KYB is the OEM of the Kizashi's struts and shocks. All models have their struts and shocks made by KYB. However, KYB does not apparently differentiate their part numbers despite factors like Sport vs. Non-Sport or auto vs. manual.
Here are KYB part numbers for the Kizashi's replacement shocks:

KYB
Front, Right, All Kizashis Strut 339265
Front, Left, All Kizashis Strut 339266

Rear Shock for both sides, All 349141

As of this writing, it has not been confirmed whether these KYB shocks are valid replacement parts for all Kizashis. Despite the claim by KYB in parts cross-reference lists, their aftermarket struts and shocks are believed to only be replacements for the non-Sport Kizashis until verification.

It is also currently unknown whether the different OE Suzuki part numbers between Sport and non-Sport and MT vs. AT struts and shocks do in fact represent physically different components.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

Yep. Your were right Kuro...different shocks from the 2010 GTS SLS to the 2012+ Sports. What could have changed since KYB only has one number and the 2010 GTS SLS sit 10mm lower? I've also just looked at the TSB for my rear shock replacement and your rear OE p/n's match that as well.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

Ronzuki wrote:Yep. Your were right Kuro...different shocks from the 2010 GTS SLS to the 2012+ Sports. What could have changed since KYB only has one number and the 2010 GTS SLS sit 10mm lower? I've also just looked at the TSB for my rear shock replacement and your rear OE p/n's match that as well.
Are you sure the 2010 GTS and SLS sit 10mm lower than the S and SE? I thought that was only with the Sport models starting in Model Year 2011.

Regardless, I'm starting to get wary of any actual difference between any of these shocks given Suzuki's plethora of different part numbers yet their very OE supplier saying just three different parts from them directly fit all Kizashis regardless of model year or trim.
Ronzuki

I'll have to dig out the 2010 glossy brochure I received when I bought the car, but I'm pretty sure they do. Stay tuned.

Edit: Found a copy on-line. No mention of the 10mm lower stance on the 2010 GTS/SLS.
Last edited by Ronzuki on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron

Ronzuki

OK, now I'm a little ticked...it appears the at least the rear spring p/n's are different between the 2010 GTS and the 2012 GTS Sport AWDs:

2010: 4131157L30
2012: 4131157LB0

I selected the 2012 to look up in order to eliminate any 2010-11 p/n change correction confusion. I'd like to see all these parts lying on the floor side-by-side for comparison. The shock valving and/or piston must be different to go along with the spring change.

It's hard to believe that this chassis can handle even better than the 2010 GTS/SLS...I'm now officially envious of all you Sport AWD owners! Hmmm...there are two 2012 AWDs for sale near me...
Ron

WESHOOT2

Oh man......big stick....
WESHOOT2

It was my understanding (based on my failing memory of the write-ups from the early days) that in 2011 the Sport GTS received revised suspension tuning to include struts, springs, shocks, and bushings.
And them friggin' heavy (then called "lightweight") 18" wheels.

Since in my basement are car magazines dating from 1964, I haven't found said articles.
Yet.....
Woodie

The friggin heavy wheels were on the 2010s too, 'cause I've got those sluggish monsters.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
KuroNekko

They called the Sport wheels "lightweight" because they were each 2 lbs lighter than the non-Sport wheels found on the 2010 GTS and SLS.

The article linked below states that as well as the 10mm ride height drop that the Kizashi Sports got starting in 2011. Interestingly, this article states that despite the lower ride height, spring rates and damping were unaltered. This could support the theory that all Kizashis actually have the same struts and shocks as KYB sells for the aftermarket.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/fi ... sport-gts/
CG1

KuroNekko wrote:Interestingly, this article states that despite the lower ride height, spring rates and damping were unaltered. This could support the theory that all Kizashis actually have the same struts and shocks as KYB sells for the aftermarket.
FWIW - I have 3 OE sets of front struts, and those with the 'sport' valving code (which I presume that is what the suffix calls out) feel stiffer on the bench. I am aware that the bench test doesn't actuate the internal valves, but I suspect that the static resistance is also different. In short, I don't buy that the damping is unchanged between the trim levels. However, the dimensions should be the same, making a single aftermarket replacement applicable to all models.

Out of curiosity, what the basis of the concern on the likeness between the OE dampers and those KYB offers as replacements?