Replaced Broken Fog Light

Where DIYs with photos live. Please start new topics in DIY section. Completed DIYs are moved here for clutter control and quicker reference.
KuroNekko

I fixed my driver's side fog light that was shattered during the cross-country trip. I found a replacement fog light on eBay sold by a seller who specializes in OE Valeo parts. Valeo is the OEM of the Kizashi's fog light. By searching the Kizashi's fog light's Valeo number, I was able to determine that the same fog light is used in a number of Toyota models including the Yaris. This allowed me to find brand new fog lights for the Yaris for cheaper than used fog lights from totaled Kizashis. I was a little worried about 100% compatibility, but the design looked exactly the same and the fog lights had the same Valeo number. Having now installed it, I can say that they are nearly identical products with all the same features and country of origin (Belgium). They are 100% compatible. These also come with a brand new H11 halogen bulb and look to be direct OE replacements.
The eBay vendor I used is this one: https://www.ebay.com/usr/sixityauto
KIMG1091.JPG
KIMG1091.JPG (1.89 MiB) Viewed 16061 times
Keep in mind that the Right Hand side fog light differs from the Left Hand side so the part numbers will reflect that. Given that the Yaris uses the same fog light for the same model years, just find one for the Yaris for either the RH or LH side.

Given I have HID bulbs for the fog lights. I inspected the HID bulb for any damage and then cleaned it with rubbing alcohol.
KIMG1114.JPG
KIMG1114.JPG (1.33 MiB) Viewed 16061 times
For the replacement of the fog light, here are the steps:

1. Remove the front bumper. You'll probably want to lift the car with ramps or jacks to make it easier. Details on bumper removal here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2861

2. Once the bumper is completely off, disconnect the fog light bulb from the harness and remove it. Then find the two screws that keep the black plastic and silver chrome trim piece to the back of the bumper. There are 2 screws, one on each side. They are circled below. Remove them and then carefully work the tabs to loosen the trim piece from the bumper. It's not that easy. The chrome piece and the black trim come off together as one.
back of bumper.jpg
back of bumper.jpg (1 MiB) Viewed 16061 times
3. Once that trim is off, you will have access to the 3 screws that hold the fog light to the bumper. Remove all three (indicated below). There are 4 brackets, but one is held by a tab instead of a screw.
front of fog light.jpg
front of fog light.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 16061 times
4. The fog light should come off easily at this point.

5. Installation is the reverse.

6. Adjust the fog light aim using the black bezel on the bottom. However, it only adjusts the aim vertically. If the aim is still off, you may need to adjust the fog light's fit with the 3 screws that hold it to the bumper. Details on fog light aiming here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2329

Conclusion:
This replacement fog light sold for the Yaris is a 100% compatible replacement product for the Kizashi's fog light. It's nearly identical except for a few printed parts on the item. The Valeo parts numbers match and the fit is the same. It seems that the replacement has a thicker glass lens but I'll have to inspect it more carefully to determine that. I didn't have the time to adjust the aim, but so far the fog light works well and casts the same output pattern as the other original fog light.
If your fog light shatters, cracks, gets heavily pitted, or floods inside with water, replacement fog lights can be had quite easily by buying one for a Toyota Yaris.
KIMG1101.JPG
KIMG1101.JPG (2.64 MiB) Viewed 16061 times
KIMG1102.JPG
KIMG1102.JPG (2.08 MiB) Viewed 16061 times
KIMG1112.JPG
KIMG1112.JPG (2.08 MiB) Viewed 16061 times
KIMG1110.JPG
KIMG1110.JPG (2.35 MiB) Viewed 16061 times
KIMG1116.JPG
KIMG1116.JPG (2.06 MiB) Viewed 16061 times
Front.jpg
Front.jpg (1020 KiB) Viewed 16061 times
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

Nice. This is good info to sticky. btw what's up w/ your plastic surrounding the light?
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

Ronzuki wrote:Nice. This is good info to sticky. btw what's up w/ your plastic surrounding the light?
That's residue from the duct tape. I didn't get a chance to remove it yet.
LPSISRL

What are your bulb temps with your fogs and headlights? It looks like mine with factory fogs and HIDs for the headlights.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
LPSISRL

Found some on Amazon for less than $30. It lists them as Yaris/RAV4/Camry.
You can also get them from rockauto.com
If they are the same fit, we're pretty much set on being able to get replacements as they are the same as some of the most common cars in the world. Ironic since we own one of the most rare. Especially in the US.
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
KuroNekko

LPSISRL wrote:Found some on Amazon for less than $30. It lists them as Yaris/RAV4/Camry.
You can also get them from rockauto.com
If they are the same fit, we're pretty much set on being able to get replacements as they are the same as some of the most common cars in the world. Ironic since we own one of the most rare. Especially in the US.
Be careful with the cheap ones listed on Amazon. Those are likely Chinese-made knock-offs that may use plastic lenses instead of glass. You want glass instead of plastic given plastic will sustain a lot more pitting and damage than glass from regular road debris. While plastic may not shatter like glass, it still won't likely survive an impact that destroys a glass lens.

It's good to see them sold on rockauto.com for the Yaris. I didn't even think of checking there after seeing they didn't have fog lights for the Kizashi. I went on eBay to do some cross-referencing and got my fog light from the most promising place. While rockauto.com's price is cheaper for a Valeo fog light, the eBay vendor offered free shipping, closing the final price gap closer and it arrived in a few days. Regardless, finding a fog light for a 2011 Toyota Yaris is much much easier than finding one for a Kizashi despite them being identical.
KuroNekko

LPSISRL wrote:What are your bulb temps with your fogs and headlights? It looks like mine with factory fogs and HIDs for the headlights.
Low Beams: 5000K HID.
Fog Lights: 3000K HID.

While the photo may make the fog lights look like halogens, in person, they are vastly different. The HIDs give out a concentrated golden yellow color that I haven't seen any halogen put out. They are also brighter than halogens and do a better job of illuminating the sides of the road.

The photo also makes my low beam HIDs look a bit bluer than they really are. In the photo, it looks like I have 6000K HIDs but I actually have 5000K which outputs a really pure white color that looks different than either 4300K (OE Kelvin temp) or the slightly blue-ish 6000K.
LPSISRL

Noticed you got your Cali plates quickly! Thanks for bulb temp info. I believe mine are:
HIDs - 6000K (however, I do have some 4300Ks to replace the 6000Ks)
Fogs - Factory bulbs. Whatever that is.
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
KuroNekko

LPSISRL wrote:Noticed you got your Cali plates quickly!
Yeah, I went to the DMV which was both a good and bad experience. I waited in line for about 2 hours and 45 minutes, most of it outside in the morning sun. I even got there 45 minutes before the DMV opened. I could have made an appointment but I wanted to get my title and registration transferred over ASAP to help establish state residency for the driver's license. However, when I finally got to the front desk, I was told that I needed to get my car inspected for the VIN. It's something the DMV does outside. She told me to come right back to her after it was done so I went outside and had my VIN verified. I had already got it smog checked so that was in their electronic system. I then got a number and sat around for a while to be called to get my title and registration transferred. When I was called, I submitted my prefilled application and while the clerk was processing it, I asked about my driver's license. I had assumed I needed to reapply for it given the 10 years I was out of state. However, she looked me up and I was still in the system. She told me that because of this, it was more of a renewal rather than an application for a new one. This made the process much easier and something I could get done right there and then. After I got done with the title and registration, I was handed new CA plates. I actually wanted the black and yellow ones that might be only for vanity plates but seen some cars with what looked like state issued numbers on them. I didn't want a vanity plate, but just the black and yellow plates. However, I wanted to be efficient so when the clerk handed me the standard white plates, I just took them. Doing the research now, I see that these black and yellow ones are called "Legacy Plates" and are similar to the ones issued in the 60's. However, they require pre-ordering and an additional $50. The plates are offered in either customized or state-issued numbers which explains why I saw both kinds.

I then filled out an application for the driver license renewal and told the clerk I also wanted my motorcycle endorsement to transfer over. I then got in a line and got my photo taken but also had to retake the driving test... something I wasn't expecting at all. I guess it's because of how long my CA license had been expired. It was funny because I was around all these old people, 16 year-olds, and non-citizens who were studying yet I was going to take both the driver's test and motorcycle test cold on the spot. But hey, if you're an experienced driver and can't pass it, you shouldn't be driving. I even watched these two old timers cheating by talking and sharing answers. The DMV clerk saw this and snatched their exams right out of their hands like they were little school kids and scold them. Fortunately, I passed both and then got a temporary driver's license after they punched a hole in my MD driver's license.

While the experience of waiting around standing outside in the sun was brutal, I did manage to get everything done that day which I didn't expect. Registration, title, license plates, VIN inspection, and driver's license all in one DMV visit. I even changed my voter registration. On top of that, the DMV staff were actually nice and friendly... I know, mind blown. That being said, it took me 5.5 hours. In Maryland, I did the same thing for my motorcycle at their headquarter's in Glen Burnie and the entire thing only took 1.5 hours with no standing outside either.
Woodie

KuroNekko wrote:While the experience of waiting around standing outside in the sun was brutal, I did manage to get everything done that day which I didn't expect. Registration, title, license plates, VIN inspection, and driver's license all in one DMV visit. I even changed my voter registration.
Nice that you got all of that handled. Hope you took the opportunity to change your registration to Libertarian, or at least Independent. We need to do something to stop these two walls of obstruction.
KuroNekko wrote:On top of that, the DMV staff were actually nice and friendly... I know, mind blown. That being said, it took me 5.5 hours. In Maryland, I did the same thing for my motorcycle at their headquarter's in Glen Burnie and the entire thing only took 1.5 hours with no standing outside either.
Maryland's DMV used to be notorious, no matter what you needed to do it was half a day. About 15 years ago they really stepped up their game, my recent experience has been very good. Newest thing is the emissions test kiosk, you drive up, plug an umbilical into your OBD2 port and do your own test.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency