AWD SLS auto SLOW 0-60!

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
MTKizashiSLS

I have had my AWD Kizashi SLS for a couple weeks now and have tested my 0-60 times to the nearest second and it runs about 13 seconds. Thats pretty slow. It runs about the same with or without the AWD and using the shifters. A good portion of that time is spent just getting started, as the engine doesn't rev high until around 20 MPH or so. Havent tried with Trac control off? It feels good other than that pretty decent accel on highway, passing out of corners etc. I wish they had AWD and manual tranny, but I prob would have bought the Auto anyway, It's mainly the wifes car and the roadtripper. Love everything else about it so far.

Edmunds gave a 0-60 time of 8.3 seconds. How are they getting such a good time? I would be ok with 8.3, but 13 is worse than almost anything. Am I just pushing the gas in wrong or what?
Moto
Site Admin

I was thinking the AWD was around 11 or so maybe in your case you are testing under strange conditions (Hot high altitude?). I think 8.3 is with a FWD manual.
MTKizashiSLS

yea def high altitude mountains in Montana, has been in the 70's so part of the difference there. I am still happy with what I have over all my other options. I actually got more than I was hoping for so I should be happy. Im planning a couple mods but just CAI, exaust, and pulley for hopefully better throttle response. That should make me happy.
gaww

MTKizashiSLS wrote:I have had my AWD Kizashi SLS for a couple weeks now and have tested my 0-60 times to the nearest second and it runs about 13 seconds. Thats pretty slow. It runs about the same with or without the AWD and using the shifters. A good portion of that time is spent just getting started, as the engine doesn't rev high until around 20 MPH or so. Havent tried with Trac control off? It feels good other than that pretty decent accel on highway, passing out of corners etc. I wish they had AWD and manual tranny, but I prob would have bought the Auto anyway, It's mainly the wifes car and the roadtripper. Love everything else about it so far.

Edmunds gave a 0-60 time of 8.3 seconds. How are they getting such a good time? I would be ok with 8.3, but 13 is worse than almost anything. Am I just pushing the gas in wrong or what?
I thought the upper 7 - low 8 second times were with the manual transmission. I recall seeing 9's with the CVT (not sure if it was AWD). I think you would probable get the best time without using the shifters - did you try that? You could load up on the throttle and release the breaks at the start - but would not recommend it in a CVT. I did it a few times in my old CVT Morano, and it did make a noticeable difference - but have not tried it with the Kizashi.

In any case, 13 seconds is surprisingly slow
MTKizashiSLS

Yea tried revving w the brake and gained another second.
Hawkzilla

I agree that you might get a better time without using the paddle shifters. This CVT, once it gets in the high RPMs, just stays up there this never dropping to "shift" gears. I would think that would cut some time off.

That inital jump off the line is clearly what is killing the time. I wish they would come out with a chip to increase power in 0-15mph range, it almost seems like it's set-up for a soft start off the line? I took mine out this weekend and hit a tight curved on-ramp going 20mph, then dropped the hammer and I was doing 70 in a hurry. My only complaint about the Kizashi is it's acceleration from 0-15mph.
Kizashi SLS CVT Azure Gray Metallic
gaww

MTKizashiSLS wrote:Yea tried revving w the brake and gained another second.
Be careful with this - the CVT is not set up with a big torque converter like a normal automatic - you may cause some significant wear of the CVT belt doing this.

It is too bad that JATCO (the supplier) did not get their new auxiliary gearbox CVT worked out for larger cars like the Kizashi before their release. These greatly lower the starting effective gear ratio for quicker acceleration at low speeds - oh well....
Mazza

You can improve take off slightly by disabling the "Hill Hold" function. You can do this by holding the stability control button down for 30 seconds, an error (warning lights) will display, however turning the engine off and on re-enables this function.
Senegal

really? hill hold is controlled by stability control? is this in the manual?
alannmoris

My only complaint about the Kizashi is it's acceleration from 0-15mph. :))
We use the same sanding, priming, and painting techniques used by Auto Body Repair Orange County shops. We remove unsightly dings, dents, and creases with a popular Dent Repair Orange County process called paintless dent removal.