Really poor gas mileage

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
honsonwong

My kizzy is around 9000km now, and the average gas mileage of my last 4 tanks is 11.5L/100km. I calculated manually. My driving is almost 100% city, average speed is 28km/hr(from the gauge).
ipaqxman

Tats better what i get sigh
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
murcod

FrankoLaMoya wrote:Hey guys! I am now close to 19 000 km and my gas mileage is still really bad... They did a fuel test and I am suppose to get 28 mpg (8.4L/100 km). With that being said...I should get around 535 km with 45 liters. I am not even able to get 350 km with 45 liters... I know it's not normal, but what can I do now? They did a fuel test and it came out normal. I love the car, but it cost me around $60 just to do 350 km.. it does not make sense. Is it worth it to send an email to Suzuki Canada? I don't think so...I know I am doing a lot of stop and go, but still my 2004 Audi A4 Quattro with 110 000 km on it had a better gas mileage.
Hi, you mention Suzuki did a fuel test and came out with 8.4l/ 100km - do you know how they calculated that out? (I'd hope by filling the tank, then letting you drive it around and refilling to check actual usage?) Is that how you've also worked out your 350km with over 45 litres usage?

It's strange to have the figures so dramatically different. I assume you've got a CVT and not a manual transmission?
David
FrankoLaMoya

Hey murdoc,

When I went to Suzuki they filled the tank, drive around for 30 minutes I think and they re-filled it again and they showed me the results... I just don't understand... it's the same thing every week, every 2 weeks... I put 60$ of gas (about 50 liters) and I only get around 350 km... 90% city and yes mine is the shitty CVT .. I wanted the manual version, but it does not exist in Canada. I wanted to buy it in Bangor, but the warranty would of been voided... anyway long story short I bought it CVT in Canada and I love it except the poor gas mileage that it really bugging me. I calculate it at every tank and it's always the same... around 45 liters for 350 km.
2012 Suzuki Kizashi Sport iAWD CVT ''Kaijū'' (Black pearl metallic)

Priors:
2004 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 6MT ''Audini'' (Black)
1999 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 AT (Dark green)
1984 Chevrolet Malibu 3MT with a 327 engine lol (Blue)
1996 Acura Integra 5MT (Black)
humble_kid

Where do you live?
murcod

Do you drive in really heavy stop/ start traffic? That's the only thing I can think of that could explain it.

It works out (45 litres to 350km) to 12.86 litres/ 100km- which, while it isn't good, isn't that bad... and could be the result of the driving conditions?
David
Ronzuki

Last Tank...29.6 mpg calculated by miles per fill on Sunoco regular. CVT, 38psi in tires, normal commute to work at @ 45-55 mph w/ a few lights and stops signs each way. About 1/3 of this tank was on highway @65mph. Easy on the go pedal from dead stops to cruising speed. If I'm not easy on the go pedal from dead stops, the same driving can yield as little as 24.5mpg.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
humble_kid

Another reason might be due to your short distance of driving. Everytime you start your car, it takes fuel to simply warm the car up. That's why you see worse fuel economy in winter times. But even in summer times, the startup consumes fuel. So if you drive shorter distance everytime u start the engine, you will expect a low fuel economy.
KuroNekko

While the Kizashi is not necessarily a fuel frugal car, let's not forget it's not some kind of tiny compact. The engine is also not the latest in the industry and it does not feature some of the technology that rivals now have to achieve their good fuel economy.
Considering that all Kizashi models feature technology from 2009, it's not really that bad. EPA estimates for rival cars back then are around the same. While the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord had a few MPG better in fuel economy, keep in mind both made less horsepower than the Kizashi. They also drive like appliances in comparison.

Also, the Kizashi was designed to be more of an affordable Sports Sedan than another midsize offering. Suzuki emphasized driving dynamics so the car was pleasurable to drive. These kinds of elements can compromise fuel economy. While it is true that some cars are both great Sports Sedans and also get good economy (BMW 3 Series) go check the price on one. Yeah...

Keep in mind that no matter what you drive, the #1 factor in fuel economy is driving condition/style. City vs. highway driving has A LOT to do with fuel economy. You can't really compare your mostly city MPG to another Kizashi owner who mostly drives on the highway.

Whether you accelerate and brake rapidly vs. smoothly also will effect fuel economy.
You can optimize fuel economy by removing junk in the trunk, making sure your tires are properly inflated, the engine is tuned up, etc. but the most determining factor is driving condition/style.
If you are getting the high teens to low twenties in MPG in the city, it's not great, but it is around EPA estimate. Rival cars of the same era in technology were also getting the same.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Woodie

KuroNekko wrote:Keep in mind that no matter what you drive, the #1 factor in fuel economy is driving condition/style. City vs. highway driving has A LOT to do with fuel economy. You can't really compare your mostly city MPG to another Kizashi owner who mostly drives on the highway.

Whether you accelerate and brake rapidly vs. smoothly also will effect fuel economy.
You can optimize fuel economy by removing junk in the trunk, making sure your tires are properly inflated, the engine is tuned up, etc. but the most determining factor is driving condition/style.
This is the key thing that most folks don't consider when comparing mileage. The person driving can make a huge difference. I had my Aerio (Liana) for 110K miles and always got 30 mpg out of it. The occasional 28 was a particularly bad tank, and I could usually put my finger on a reason, lots of short trips, less highway than usual, etc. On trips I would get 32 to 33, but it usually delivered 30.

I sold that car to my girlfriend who has never gotten more than 25 mpg with it. She drives pretty much the same city/highway mix as I did, but nothing is ever smooth about her driving style.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency