Really poor gas mileage

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
Marcov71

For some reason, whenever my wife drives it, she averages 27 mpg. When I drive it, its 23...lol
2012 Kizashi CVT AWD/ w paint chips :shock:
Orange County/Brooklyn NY
Triggerhappy

Sorry, but the Kizashi gets really poor mileage in the city. It gets the rated mpg or better on the highway.
152k miles - niece drives it now
2017 Prius Prime - about 65 mpg factoring in electricity cost
2018 Pacifica Hybrid - wife's
Woodie

mzero69 wrote:i buy a 2014 kizashi with 14,5k km (9,5k miles aprox) and i have 2 avg mpg:
- when i ride like a grandma i get no more than 21mpg (9km/l) (90% city)
- when i ride like an average person i dont pass 16mpg (6,8km/l)(90% city).
Go out of the city and find a highway.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
n8dogg

I got similar to you, then I found Non-ethanol gas. That 16mpg average is now 21-22 mpg. Don't know what you have in your gas in Chile, but ethanol here sucks!
'12 Kizashi SLS AWD w/RF sound
easy to chip Vivid Red and 25% window tint
Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus II
Power Stop Rotors and Pads
183,xxx miles and still lovin it!
KuroNekko

n8dogg wrote:I got similar to you, then I found Non-ethanol gas. That 16mpg average is now 21-22 mpg. Don't know what you have in your gas in Chile, but ethanol here sucks!
I've heard that South America has even higher ethanol concentrations. My Brazilian coworker was telling me that Brazil has something like 25% ethanol from sugarcane.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
WESHOOT2

It's your gas; it's not very good.

Your car is very good.
Ciderezzy

I'm one of the few people in the UK that were able to buy a Kizashi we were only offered the top spec model. My journey to work is a little over 40 miles and find my average to be between 43 an 46mpg (Imperial gallon) The Kizashi has now done 25k. I am recently getting readings in the region of 50mpg only for it to drop back off the motorway.

My trick is to find a large HGV(truck/semi) and tuck in about 75 yards (2 secs) behind. In the UK they're limited to 56mph so I set my cruise likewise. Driving like a grandma is not recommended as the missus will lose me 10-15mpg as her wellies must have lead in them.

It only adds 5-7 mins to my journey time driving like this but its more relaxing. ;)
Woodie

That's incredibly high mileage. The highest I've ever gotten, and this was pure highway miles for the entire tank, was 36 mpg. Converting for Imperial gallons would make that 43 mpg. I wasn't drafting but still, that's my personal best and you say that's the low side of your average? Are you actually computing this or going by the VERY optimistic dash readout?

Around here if you find a lorry going 56 mph, you've found a broken lorry limping home.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
KuroNekko

Ciderezzy wrote:I'm one of the few people in the UK that were able to buy a Kizashi we were only offered the top spec model. My journey to work is a little over 40 miles and find my average to be between 43 an 46mpg (Imperial gallon) The Kizashi has now done 25k. I am recently getting readings in the region of 50mpg only for it to drop back off the motorway.

My trick is to find a large HGV(truck/semi) and tuck in about 75 yards (2 secs) behind. In the UK they're limited to 56mph so I set my cruise likewise. Driving like a grandma is not recommended as the missus will lose me 10-15mpg as her wellies must have lead in them.

It only adds 5-7 mins to my journey time driving like this but its more relaxing. ;)
You're basically employing hyper-miling tactics so I'm not that surprised to hear you are getting about 50 MPG (41 US MPG).
Following a truck 2 seconds behind greatly reduces the aerodynamic drag on your car because you are basically using the truck in front as a wind block. Also, driving at 56 MPH on cruise control is optimizing the fuel efficiency of the car to basically its maximum. Other tactics of hyper-milers include overinflating the tires to minimize roll resistance and using fully synthetic oil of a very light weight. Not only that, they fill the oil to a minimum level to reduce resistance. I personally wouldn't do this but there are crazy hypermilers with hybrids who have pushed nearly 200 MPG by doing everything they can for efficiency.

I consider the Kizashi a decent car for efficiency on the highway, but it's driving conditions that really matter most. Traffic and city driving conditions will really grind down your efficiency. I can easily get over 30 MPG on the highway alone, but get in the low 20s in city driving. This really drives down my average for mixed driving and I'm getting about 23~24 MPG on average these days. It's just unavoidable given the realities of my driving conditions that involve traffic in one of the most congested cities in America.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
ehart814

Tailgating a truck does make a huge difference in mileage but it's hard on the paint on the front of your car....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk