trying to find new ways to improve mpg!!!

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
tvrooman1

I've been doing some research for improving my mpgs for my kiz, I've owned my car for a few months now and i drive around 500 miles or more a week at 19 years old, i currently am getting around 22.5 mpg. I have been thinking bout putting a cold air intake, the GF chip, and the scangaurd2, and scanguardE which will allow me to have full control of my engine and how its performing, I'm not an amateur when it comes to vehicles. my previous vehicle was a f350 v10 so i know how to work/take care of my vehicles but with driving a 100 miles one way to college every week I'm trying to find ways to save money to be able to enjoy driving my car more!!! please give all opinions, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make my car last longer along with being able to save money on the up rising fuel prices we have... looking forward to everyones feedback.
ipaqxman

If u drive so much in one week on average u must be doing lots of highway then 22.5 mpg doesn't seem right. Whats ur average speed on your digital display? Are you idling a lot? Accelerating randomly? Cruise control much or no?
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
tvrooman1

My average speed is 80mph and then on weekends I'm doing a lot of running around my small town and prior to 22.5 I was getting 17.8 mpg max driving the speed limit in/around town... I'm just confused why it won't go any higher that what it's at!
tvrooman1

Average speed was 26
jono

I don't know how the car calculates the mileage but it's bogus. T he only real true way to do it is to keep tract of what you put in your tank and what comes out by dividing your mileage by the amount of gallons ( you used) you put in.
jono
ipaqxman

If your average speed on display is 26mph I'd say your 22.5 mpg is about right. Best way to increase your mpg is to do less stop and go, which is reflected by your true average speed per digital dash, which obviously isn't 80mph
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
KuroNekko

Best ways to improve MPGs (with any car):

1) Reduce weight. Get rid of junk in the trunk. Clear off seats. Don't treat your car like storage space. Keep it clean and as lightweight as possible.

2) Make sure tires are properly inflated. Slightly over-inflated tires may give you better fuel economy as well. Under-inflation is the enemy to efficiency.

3) Smooth out acceleration and braking. This is the #1 factor in fuel economy. Don't accelerate quickly or brake quickly unless you need to.

4) Switch to synthetic oil. The lower friction properties of synthetics should allow for better powertrain efficiency. While the improvement may be very small, it will add up over time.

5) Turn off the A/C when you don't really need it. However, at highway speeds, use it over having the windows down as that creates greater air resistance.

6) Try to have your average highways speed no faster than 70 MPH to see some really good highway fuel economy.

If your overall average speed is 26 MPH, you are doing far more city driving than you think. My average speed is often the same. However, my commutes on the freeway are often at 50 to 70 MPH. It's the city driving in DC getting to and from the freeway that eats into overall average speed and MPG. Hence, my average MPG is around 24~25. However, on long freeway drives at around 70 MPH, I've seen 34 MPG.

Basically, slow down and smooth it out. I have my doubts that chips, intakes, etc. will actually give you significantly better fuel efficiency.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
~tc~

Intakes and exhaust flow more air, which ..., makes you burn more fuel! Chip may lean out the mixture some and get better mileage, but probably not much.

X2 on tires - in my experience, that is the leading controllable thing you can do. We don't normally have too much control over the average speed and time idling, etc - I don't know too many people that choose the stop-and-go route over the constant motion highway route too much!

I will also agree that the car seems to get significantly better mileage around 70mph and 1500 RPM than 80 and 2000 rpm.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
tvrooman1

I will try to smooth out my dailiy driving habits, being a teen does have a little bit of a damper on my milage.I have been doing good lately slowing down, most of my 80 mph on the high way comes from lack of time i give myself for going to school in the morning.

My biggest question is with the items i had listed they tell you "limitations" to follow... would it be worth buying the combo and the GF chip for results?

Heres the links incase people were interested in taking a look and give feedback....

Scanguage2 & ScanguageE-http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/

GF chip- http://www.gfchips.com/suzukikizashi.aspx

also would a performance exhaust help with the add-ons??
KuroNekko

tvrooman1 wrote:I will try to smooth out my dailiy driving habits, being a teen does have a little bit of a damper on my milage.I have been doing good lately slowing down, most of my 80 mph on the high way comes from lack of time i give myself for going to school in the morning.

My biggest question is with the items i had listed they tell you "limitations" to follow... would it be worth buying the combo and the GF chip for results?

Heres the links incase people were interested in taking a look and give feedback....

Scanguage2 & ScanguageE-http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/

GF chip- http://www.gfchips.com/suzukikizashi.aspx

also would a performance exhaust help with the add-ons??

I'd completely avoid the scanguage. Get a bluetooth or wifi device that connects to the OBDII port. Use one of the many app-based software for read-outs. I have a Kiwi Wifi with the FuzzyCar app. It gives me the kind of read-outs the scanguage would. These are cheaper and more versatile while you can also use different apps. This is assuming you have an iPod Touch or smart phone.

GF Chip: I'm wary. If such a simple thing could significantly improve MPG and power, why wouldn't the manufacturer simply calibrate the ECU to be this way? I know chips can boost power, but usually at the cost of other factors like reliability and fuel economy.

Honestly, adjusting your driving style will give you greater benefits to fuel economy and cost nothing. In fact, it'll save you money as you get better fuel efficiency.
Basically, knowing that you regularly drive 80 MPH and also have an average speed of 26 MPH tells me that you drive faster than what is optimal on the freeway and you also are in city-like driving conditions more than you think.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)