BIG BRAKES

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
KuroNekko

Dthrill_08 wrote:I think I have a slightly warped front Rotor. I am thinking on going all slotted in the front and maybe regular in the back. My question is does the Kizashi maintain it's great breaking? It is actually one of my favorite cars in the breaking department. In the future I would like to drop it a bit and put some new shocks and struts but I don't want to suffer ride quality.
Slotted rotors are the best for braking performance and durability. Drilled rotors look cool and help in wet conditions, but aren't actually intended for very heavy braking usage because they are more susceptible to stress and heat cracks around the holes. Drilled and slotted rotors are a mix of both but you can expect racing and heavy duty rotors to only have slots, not drilled holes.

I recently ordered and received slotted rotors for all four corners along with performance-oriented brake pads. While the OE brakes are very good for their class, getting slotted rotors and more aggressive brake pads will definitely improve braking performance.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
DesRado

Kuro, which ones did you get? And how is the brake dust? lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
2012 Platinum Silver Kizashi GTS, 6SP

KuroNekko

DesRado wrote:Kuro, which ones did you get? And how is the brake dust? lol

I got the StopTech Sport slotted rotors. I also got PowerStop Z23 Evolution Sport brake pads.
I haven't had the time to install them yet. My OE brakes aren't exactly low, but the rotors are warped. In everyday city driving, they are fine but at high speed braking, it's concerning.
I expect these new brakes to create more dust than OE given they are higher performance brakes but I don't really care especially since I got my wheels repainted to a darker hue. I expect it would be harder to see brake dust than before.
DesRado

Ah. I'm still on the OE brakes too.

Do you, or does anyone know whether the Kizashi is rear brake biased? I have a ton more dust on the back than front consistently. I would think it should be the opposite for FWD (brake dust wise). If it is, I'm guessing it's to help handling, but I'm just curious to know whether it is. Odd thing is, my rear brkes have the dust shield behind the rotors, while the fronts don't have one at all.

KuroNekko

DesRado wrote:Ah. I'm still on the OE brakes too.

Do you, or does anyone know whether the Kizashi is rear brake biased? I have a ton more dust on the back than front consistently. I would think it should be the opposite for FWD (brake dust wise). If it is, I'm guessing it's to help handling, but I'm just curious to know whether it is. Odd thing is, my rear brkes have the dust shield behind the rotors, while the fronts don't have one at all.
I recall this topic came up some time ago and it was believed that the Kizashi may have some rear brake bias.
The fronts probably don't have dust shields to help with better cooling given the front rotors are vented while the rears are not.
ehart814

We had this same issue with our car. I found that the rear pads were seized in the brackets and wearing rapidly. You couldn't spin the back wheels when the car was off the ground. They were almost metal to metal at less than 30k. Replaced pads, cleaned all the rust out of the hardware and greased. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DesRado

ehart814 wrote:

We had this same issue with our car. I found that the rear pads were seized in the brackets and wearing rapidly. You couldn't spin the back wheels when the car was off the ground. They were almost metal to metal at less than 30k. Replaced pads, cleaned all the rust out of the hardware and greased. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may have to check that then. If I get a chance this weekend I'll jack the back of the car up and see if I can hand spin the tires. Thanks for the insight.

MrNWA

kizashir rear brakes are shit mine seize once a year i have to get the slides serviced the indicator they are seized is the dust on the rear wheels my big brake kit gives a lot of dust and the fronts do have shields
MrNWA

Dthrill_08 wrote:I think I have a slightly warped front Rotor. I am thinking on going all slotted in the front and maybe regular in the back. My question is does the Kizashi maintain it's great breaking? It is actually one of my favorite cars in the breaking department. In the future I would like to drop it a bit and put some new shocks and struts but I don't want to suffer ride quality.

brakes are better than stock for sure my car stops so fast my speedo gets confused once the pads and rotors are heated up kizashi has no ride quality if you have the sport pkg i was in a rental for a while was so soft got into my kizashi and it feels like driving my friends GTR its so stiff and hard on the bumps
KuroNekko

MrNWA wrote: kizashi has no ride quality if you have the sport pkg i was in a rental for a while was so soft got into my kizashi and it feels like driving my friends GTR its so stiff and hard on the bumps
The Kizashi is in a fine balance zone, IMO. Yeah, other midsizes ride better because they have softer suspensions but take them in a curve like the Kizashi and it's unnerving. Body roll galore and the tires can't keep the grip. I noted this with rentals like the Ford Fusion and Chrysler 200.
However, the Kizashi is considerably more comfortable than many other cars with sharper handling. By no means a sports car, my former Mazda3 was a very good handling car for what it was; an economy compact. However, the ride quality was significantly worse than the Kizashi. Ride in cars like the WRX, Evo, GTI, and other sport compacts and you'll notice that the Kizashi rides more comfortably. On the spectrum of handling vs. comfort, the Kizashi is in a mix zone that is rather hard to find in a car of this price range. It's not the most comfortable one, but it also handles considerably better than most, if not all, midsize family 4 doors of its price range.