RRM Rear Sway Bar Bushings Issue

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
bootymac

KuroNekko wrote:
bootymac wrote:There are plates that function the same as the locks: http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2977
I know, but the inside is open and that's where one should install the lateral locks. The plates are only on the outsides.
The plates on each end counteract each other, preventing the bar from moving
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote:
KuroNekko wrote: I know, but the inside is open and that's where one should install the lateral locks. The plates are only on the outsides.
The plates on each end counteract each other, preventing the bar from moving
I wonder if one can use lateral locks on the insides in addition to the outside plates to further enhance rigidity by greater limiting the movement for both sides in either direction. Regardless, I don't think it will benefit the vast majority of drivers.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Woodie

I've never seen a sway bar move right to left. I was a bit surprised to see the plates that are built into the bar when I put it on.

I said out loud "didn't know that was a problem".
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
KuroNekko

Update:
I got the Moog bushings in the mail and installed them. The Moogs are considerably beefier than the Progressive/RRM bushings and appear to be higher quality. However, the larger dimensions caused a fitting issue because the bushings were too large to be installed with the RRM's mounting bracket that was included with the sway bar. The bracket basically took up too much space for the Moogs to be tightened down with the Kizashi's mounting bolts for the bushings. The solution was to remove the RRM mounting bracket to free up some thread space on the bolts. The Moogs then fit nicely on the Kizashi's bushings mounts.
I read that these Moog bushings don't need lubrication due to their material composition but I applied some anyway, largely because my sway bars are a bit worn where the bushings attach.
The noisy squeaking ceased immediately and the car handles well. I also want to note that the bushings aren't visible from the rear because they are mounted somewhat high and are blocked from the exhaust pipes when viewed directly from behind the car.

I also want to note that I was mistaken about the RRM's sway bar's end plates. They are on the inside, not the outside like I thought. Therefore, like Woodie and Bootymac stated, lateral locks aren't needed for these sway bars. In fact, they are incompatible with this sway bar.
SamirD

Great info! I really wish I would have gotten an RRM bar for the summertime setup.

Sure, changing it back to stock for the winter would have been a bit of a pain, but changing the four tires is no easy task either.

On my 95 Altima, I did a bunch of cross referencing and found an energy suspension poly bushing that was a perfect fit for the factory front sway bar. Made a world of difference when the suspension was all locked down--strut tower brace, better bushings, new endlinks.
KuroNekko

SamirD wrote:Great info! I really wish I would have gotten an RRM bar for the summertime setup.

Sure, changing it back to stock for the winter would have been a bit of a pain, but changing the four tires is no easy task either.

On my 95 Altima, I did a bunch of cross referencing and found an energy suspension poly bushing that was a perfect fit for the factory front sway bar. Made a world of difference when the suspension was all locked down--strut tower brace, better bushings, new endlinks.
Why bother swapping the sway bars for the change in seasons?
bootymac

Thanks for the follow up. The Moog bushings seem like the way to go
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote:Thanks for the follow up. The Moog bushings seem like the way to go
I hope so. Time will tell if these hold up but I'm confident they are much better than the Progress/RRM bushings.
I also want to note that despite removing the RRM mounting brackets to fit the larger Moogs, there is no noticeable difference in handling. The Moogs are very firm and compliment the RRM sway bar's rigidity.
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:
SamirD wrote:Great info! I really wish I would have gotten an RRM bar for the summertime setup.

Why bother swapping the sway bars for the change in seasons?
Having the stock understeer in the winter would definitely be better than oversteer--for me at least.
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:
bootymac wrote:Thanks for the follow up. The Moog bushings seem like the way to go
I hope so. Time will tell if these hold up but I'm confident they are much better than the Progress/RRM bushings.
I also want to note that despite removing the RRM mounting brackets to fit the larger Moogs, there is no noticeable difference in handling. The Moogs are very firm and compliment the RRM sway bar's rigidity.
Glad you were able to find a solution. 8-)