CVT lowest Gear Ratio

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
pistonwheels

Could the initial lag be caused by the time it takes the CVT to transition 'down' to the lowest gear ratio. Does the CVT set itself in some initial mid-point gear setting. Perhaps by using the manual mode it forces the gearbox to transition quicker than it otherwise would. Certainly, when using the paddle shifters it appears to jump down a "couple of cogs" which of course is an abstraction of what is really occurring.
gaww

I have noticed little difference from stop - have tried it both ways several times.

After it gets going and back off the gas (so the gearing is relative high and the rpm's are low), it will quicklime go back up the the max hp rpm pretty quickly and hold it there. Only from stop does it "lag" very much.
01lude

Can you neutral-drop the CVT? Rev the hell out of it in neutral and then drop it into drive? Or will it damage the trans?
metatrox

Not sure about neutral drop but I know if you hold brake and gas it only revs to about 2k. Then let go and the launch is even worse. :(

Haven't tried ebrake launch yet either.
2010 SLS, Platinum Silver.
TheHolyGhost

I wouldn't recommend a neutral drop. I know in conventional transmissions it can cause damage that is fairly easy to identify by repairmen, which could cause warranty issues down the road.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
Moto
Site Admin

Metatrox wrote:Not sure about neutral drop but I know if you hold brake and gas it only revs to about 2k. Then let go and the launch is even worse. :(
I think you can probably thank Toyota for that. although, I know some other car manufactures started cutting power when the break petal was pushed long before Toyota has its problems.

Oh, and a neutral drop would be an epically bad idea in just about any car.
01lude

Moto wrote:
Metatrox wrote:Not sure about neutral drop but I know if you hold brake and gas it only revs to about 2k. Then let go and the launch is even worse. :(
I think you can probably thank Toyota for that. although, I know some other car manufactures started cutting power when the break petal was pushed long before Toyota has its problems.

why toyota?

and how is neutral dropping different from engine braking in manual mode?
gaww

01lude wrote:
Moto wrote:

why toyota?

and how is neutral dropping different from engine braking in manual mode?
apparently Toyota's problems led to the implementation of programing that limits enging rps when the breaks are applied.

Holding the car back while you try to rev it up works the torque converter (still not a good idea), while revving it up in neutral and slamming it into gear does just that - slams the whole drive-train - much worse.