CVT lowest Gear Ratio

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
gaww

Since the 0-15 mph "dead zone" is a frustrating shortcoming to many (including me obviously), i am wondering if we could get to the bottom line of the problem.

If it is the result of an ECU setting limiting power by limiting rpm below 15mph, than this could possibly be addressed by an ECU piggy back (like RRM).

If it is entirely the result of it being the lowest effective gear ratio of the CVT (whereby it will always be like starting in 2nd), than there is nothing that can be done to existing Kizashi's - hopefully Suzuki will rectify this in future models.

One way to make this determination would be to compare the lowest gear ratio of the CVT (through to the rear wheels) with the same measure of the manual transmission in 1st gear at the rear wheels. So far, I have not been able to find the specs on both models that would make this possible. Has anyone come across these specs so this comparison can be made?
metatrox

Would be interesting to fin out. The first couple second annoy me, especially if i gotta pull out quickly.

All the sites i found say TBD on the gear ratios.
2010 SLS, Platinum Silver.
Minority

Australian CVT ratios (as per spec sheets on Aus Suzuki web site) 2.349 to 0.394 with a 5.798 final drive.
Australian 6 speed manual ratios (as per spec sheets on Aus Suzuki web site) 3.615 (1st) to 0.707 (6th) with a 4.117 final drive.
metatrox

Bummer...
2010 SLS, Platinum Silver.
gaww

Minority wrote:Australian CVT ratios (as per spec sheets on Aus Suzuki web site) 2.349 to 0.394 with a 5.798 final drive.
Australian 6 speed manual ratios (as per spec sheets on Aus Suzuki web site) 3.615 (1st) to 0.707 (6th) with a 4.117 final drive.
So the CVT has an approximate 9% effective lower gear ration compared to the manual setup. That explains it to some degree, but I would not have expected 9% only to cause the 0-15 mph lag to the degree that has been noted.

Could it be that there may still be something that the ECU settings is responsible for? If so, it probably could be fixed (limited of course by the 9% lower effective ratio).

What about it RRM - does your piggyback increase the ratio at start-up?
TheHolyGhost

Is that the lowest gear ratio that the CVT can achieve physically, or is it just the lowest gear ratio it reaches currently? It could still be a programming thing if they tuned the transmission to not go below a certain point despite being capable of doing so.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
gaww

It appears from the specs that these are mechanical and not computer controlled ratios. the ECU could be set to further limit the fuel and/or rpm's to minimize loads at start-up.

This particular CVT make and model was a source of problems on the smaller Nissans, so this might be a computerized "fix" for a CVT reliability issue.

Suzuki had to have known of the lag in any case, and it is surprising they let it go out like this. Would be interesting to hear from 2011 buyers with the CVT if there has been an improvement (including the sport model).
gaww

gaww wrote:
Minority wrote:Australian CVT ratios (as per spec sheets on Aus Suzuki web site) 2.349 to 0.394 with a 5.798 final drive.
So the CVT has an approximate 9% effective lower gear ration compared to the manual setup. That explains it to some degree, but I would not have expected 9% only to cause the 0-15 mph lag to the degree that has been noted.

Could it be that there may still be something that the ECU settings is responsible for? If so, it probably could be fixed (limited of course by the 9% lower effective ratio).

What about it RRM - does your piggyback increase the ratio at start-up?
PS - it is amazing how quiet RRM is when you ask or press them on specifics on items like the ECU, etc.
Senegal

my CVT used to feel slow in the first 15, to the degree that I just used the manual mode when starting from a stop. But after the update to the CVT it's been a different animal, pulls out from stop so nicely that I don't see the need for the manual mode

did you guys get your CVT module updated yet??
gaww

I had the service recall reprogram done, and did not notice any difference, I have also tried starting in manual mode, and still experienced the 0-15 lag. If a ECU reprogram - either directly or by using a piggyback ECU - I am sure RRM would have been all over it.

But the silence continues...