Short ram intake worth it?

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
G13b

There not worth the money period.. What intake brand was that any ways?

Cold Air Intakes Mythbusted [Naturally Aspirated]

If you write wash on mycar I will carve resuscitate me on your chest.
KuroNekko

In my opinion, Cold Air Intakes and Short Ram Intakes are rather pointless if the end goal is increased power. The video in the link by G13b highlights that modern engine sensors and intake designs have made it to the point where CAI aren't really generating increased power. I've personally noticed with cars made since 2000 that the factory air intake designs are much better and even cars like the Kizashi have intake designs which make CAI rather obsolete. The airbox is sealed from the engine bay's heated air and actually draws air from the front of the car, right above the grill. It's basically acting like a cold air intake without risking water ingestion from having the filter so low to the ground.

If anything, it's not the intake design, but the filter that's the crux of the performance equation. What's more important is the filter type and the volume of air that flows through it. However, even then, it's not going to generate an appreciable amount of power increase. Based on my personal experience with a SRI on my former Impreza, it did little about adding power, but what it helped was how fast the engine revved to higher RPMs. Basically, I was able to reach higher RPMs faster which then allowed me to get to the peak of the powerband faster. It just didn't seem to actually help generate more power.

So basically, I think it's a myth that these custom intakes generate more usable power but would say that they can still make a performance difference with other variables. After all, you often need a CAI or SRI to put in a conical filter which improves airflow. The con of these high airflow filters is filtration quality and many tests have proved OE type filters have the best filtration quality though are most restrictive on airflow. Basically, it's a compromise between airflow and filtration.

Lastly, CAIs and SRIs make the engine louder so there's that factor too which may be either a pro or a con depending on the person. Factory designs typically want the engine to be quieter so will be designed around that goal.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Remav

Mostly what I expect is that my rather rare car will now have an even rarer look. ;O) I wouldn't have considered it had the hood repair from the hail not been $775. I would think it would be a bonus if somehow the AC dropped a couple degrees. The air temp from the vents is normally very hot. (I have missed the old mechanical vents like all my old 60's Mopars had. Those were 1/2 as good as an AC on all but the very hottest days!)
Image2011 Sport SLS Navi AWD, White Water Pearl ...in Beautiful Colorado