Short ram intake worth it?

Let others know about your performance modifications, and help members find the parts they want.
Hawkzilla

Has anyone installed this on their Kiz? I'm close to pulling the trigger on this, but want to know if it really gives a 10% gain to HP. If so, $260 seems like a good deal for an 18 hp gain.

Also, if you have installed it, was there any impact on initial acceleration or is that going to require a mod chip?

Thanks!
Kizashi SLS CVT Azure Gray Metallic
gaww

Hawkzilla wrote:Has anyone installed this on their Kiz? I'm close to pulling the trigger on this, but want to know if it really gives a 10% gain to HP. If so, $260 seems like a good deal for an 18 hp gain.

Also, if you have installed it, was there any impact on initial acceleration or is that going to require a mod chip?

Thanks!
Still trying to get yours moving I see - I would like to also.

When I got through to an RRM tech when this stuff first came out (probably a mistake - has not happened again), he mentioned gains of 5-7hp for this and also the ECU.

I have read a lot of subjective impressions on this and the ECU piggyback, but nothing objective. And RRM refuses to release dyno info - for just this reason I assume.

Note - in an earlier post, "Short Ram Intake,Piggy Back ECU,Catback Exhaust and Lightweight Pulley " were installed by a Kizashi owner who had been told by RRM that he could expect 20 hp from all three (not counting the pulley - that should not make HP). This is consistent with the above. Taken together, that is a lot of money for 20 HP.

The sweet-spot for the Kizashi is 5500-5600 rpm. When it FINALLY gets there, the CVT holds that as you accelerate full throttle. It gets there at about 15-20 mph, after getting past the "lag".
AlphaLima

I'd really like to see some dyno stats myself, before applying the mods.

The CVT does really like to take off once you get into that RPM range. I like the fact that it keeps you in the power band as long as you tell it to stay there. Seems to just keep going like rocket thrust. Well, ok at least as much rocket thrust as you can expect at 180hp!

I sort of have an "in" with another after market motorsports company. They don't have anything after market for the Kizashi yet, and not sure they plan to with the low volume of sales the car has thus far, but I may see about getting mine on their dyno, just to get a good baseline. Then at least if I do add the intake and ECU mods I'll have some idea of where the car is really at rather than the placebo effect. If I do get to that point I'll definitely post the outcome.
Hawkzilla

Please do!!! I would love to see what a dyno rates the Kiz. I find it hard to believe that a computer chip mod wouldn't add a ton of improvement to the initial acceleration. You know that a 180hp car is capable of a lot more power off the line than that! Just a damn shame since that is my ONLY complaint about my car.
gaww

The manufacture of the CVT has one with a supplemental low gear. Too bad Suzuki chose to save a few bucks and not use that one.

After all the reviews came on on the 2010's - surprised they did not go that direction in the 2011. This change might have made them first in class in some reviews - with lagging sales - they need to do something significant.

How about 200hp and a better CVT for 2012? Would not help us though.
Hawkzilla

gaww wrote:The manufacture of the CVT has one with a supplemental low gear. Too bad Suzuki chose to save a few bucks and not use that one.

After all the reviews came on on the 2010's - surprised they did not go that direction in the 2011. This change might have made them first in class in some reviews - with lagging sales - they need to do something significant.

I'm hoping they can get a 230ish hp and much improved CVT by 2014... if so, I will be replacing my current Kiz with a spanking new one. If not I will be looking elsewhere. I love my Kiz, but the lack of power off the line is disturbing.
gaww

Hawkzilla wrote:
gaww wrote:The manufacture of the CVT has one with a supplemental low gear. Too bad Suzuki chose to save a few bucks and not use that one.

I'm hoping they can get a 230ish hp and much improved CVT by 2014... if so, I will be replacing my current Kiz with a spanking new one. If not I will be looking elsewhere. I love my Kiz, but the lack of power off the line is disturbing.
230 hp and a better low gear would definitely a get up and go. I hope you get your wish.
nytq

Regarding the RRM Short Ram Intake. Just received it. Have not installed yet, so I'll get back to you all on it's performance, but my first comment is the fact that it came in glossy black. It's very nice, but I was expecting the race red as shown in the picture on the RRM site. No big deal, just that I was planning to accent with the same red on other parts. I'll let you know what difference it makes in performance.
Attachments
RRM Intake.jpg
2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
CCS77

keep us posted!
2010 Suzuki Kizashi GTS AWD
will2k

I thought the short ram would make more noise than it does to be honest. It's hard to tell whether you gain any hp or it's all in your head lol

It's very well made though and looks good!

I might get some flexible piping to direct air from the scoop under the hood though because im sure i could lower my intake temps a fair bit with some direct air as they seem a little high.
MODS: catback exhaust, RRM SRI, 6000k HID, white led's all round, 22% tint, Rear swaybar, LED drl's, chrome stealth turn signal, scanguage II.

Sound system: 2 x Alpine 6.5" speakers, 2ch Pioneer amp and Fusion 10" subwoofer tube