LED head light conversion kit discussion

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
SamirD

murcod wrote:With the head lamps/ lights make sure they've got some sort of voltage/ current regulator built in for the LED. Otherwise the light output will drop very quickly as the battery begins to discharge.

To quote PrincetonTec:
Princeton Tec lights that feature regulated LEDs have a sophisticated regulating circuit that maintains initial brightness as long as the batteries have sufficient voltage. Traditional lights are very bright initially, but immediately begin to dim and continue to dim until the batteries are drained. Constant Brightness is a term used to describe products that have regulated LEDs.
They're not the only brand obviously with that feature, but the cheaper versions are often lacking in such areas.
Great tip! Thank you!
SamirD

SamirD wrote:Couldn't get to Home Depot today, but I'll have to do it tomorrow for sure.
I was able to get to Home Depot late yesterday night, but they were sold out of those headlights at the one I went to. I bumped into a similar Energizer headlight that I picked up a few years ago for $2.99, and it was almost $20! These things have either really improved in quality or just demand.

I ran into a supplier that has Nebo flashlights. What's your opinion on these?
~tc~

Any more progress on changing out the DRL/high beam to something more efficient (LED or HID)?
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
sx4rocious

my in-laws got me this for Christmas: http://www.harborfreight.com/120-led-re ... 60793.html

Unreal how handy it really is!!!!
KuroNekko

SamirD wrote: I ran into a supplier that has Nebo flashlights. What's your opinion on these?
Never heard of Nebo flashlights. Maybe check up on them at http://www.candlepowerforums.com. This is a forum of flashlight enthusiasts (yes, they exist and I recently joined :ugeek: ). I'm looking to revive an old Streamlight Scorpion to a LED conversion so I need the advice of these guys given OEM parts in doing so are nil.
~tc~ wrote:Any more progress on changing out the DRL/high beam to something more efficient (LED or HID)?
I will buy a kit for sure, but I'm still trying to figure out which would be the best fit and best performance. I'm thinking the VLEDS, but it's not cheap and the heat sink + fan apparatus may not fit inside the headlight with the cap on. I'm also thinking about waiting until I visit Japan next to see what the JDM offers. Great toys are found in the land of the rising sun. I may be going within a few months to visit family.
sx4rocious wrote:my in-laws got me this for Christmas.
Unreal how handy it really is!!!!
Harbor Freight Tools is the best. I discovered them way too late (only about a year ago). I've always heard of them, but never found a store until recently. Mind was blown.
They are the place where you can find pro-grade tools yet for decent prices.
Examples: I wanted to OWN a brake caliper service kit. Many rear caliper pistons require special tools to compress them. Autozone and other auto parts store have kits you can borrow, but they don't sell them. HFT does. In fact, they are the ONLY place that does.

I was also looking for left-hand drill bits. These are drill bits that cut while turning counterclockwise. They are great for drilling out stuck bolts and screws. Home Depot did not sell them. Lowes did not sell them. A Milwaukee Tools store did not sell them. Harbor Freight Tool? Of course.

Their prices are very good too and they love to cram your mailbox and email inbox full of coupons. Can't complain.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
sx4rocious

I love Harbor Freight. we have a store about a mile from my in-laws house. I love to just go in a look around while me wife shope the rest of the stores in the little strip mall. Lately, she has even been saving the coupons they send out for me. I have a really nice off road light set from them that she got me for my birthday for the SX4 that was around $110 everywhere else. She found it for $35 and even got me a digital multi-meter for free with a coupon! That's my girl!!

Anyway, if you don't have a worklight that comes in handy for your car, I really couldn't recommend that light more. The end caps have magnets in them and are attached to the body by a bungee cord. All you have to do is unscrew the endcaps and stick them to the hood of your car with the magnets and go to work!! it's insanely bright also. I couldn't believe it was under $30. I showed a couple guys I work with and have sold 3 of them for HFT so far. I'm waiting on my commission!! LOL
Woodie

Be careful at Harbor Freight guys.

They can't be beat for sheer variety and price, but a lot of what they sell is garbage, very low quality.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
~tc~

Woodie wrote:Be careful at Harbor Freight guys.

They can't be beat for sheer variety and price, but a lot of what they sell is garbage, very low quality.
X2
KuroNekko

Woodie wrote:Be careful at Harbor Freight guys.

I think it depends on what it is. Their power tools look like crap. I'd agree with you there and I went with Makitas from Home Depot.
However, with other things like the brake kit, bleeders, and jacks, they are the place to go. They also simply sell stuff others don't which makes the most difference.
For example, I got solid rubber wheel chocks from them. Auto parts stores only sell the hollow plastic ones or the collapsible metal kind. I've had the VW bus roll over (just by gravity) and completely crush a plastic wheel chock. It showed how useless they were. After that, I bought solid rubber ones from HFT. You can't find something like that anywhere else and I've looked.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
~tc~

KuroNekko wrote:I think it depends on what it is. Their power tools look like crap. I'd agree with you there
Anything that plugs in is pretty much crap ... The more "sophisticated" the bigger its crap.
KuroNekko wrote:However, with other things like the brake kit, bleeders, and jacks, they are the place to go.
No, that stuff is all crap too, but you probably won't use it often enough to realize it or to be worth paying more for a good one.
KuroNekko wrote:They also simply sell stuff others don't which makes the most difference.
For example, I got solid rubber wheel chocks from them. Auto parts stores only sell the hollow plastic ones or the collapsible metal kind. I've had the VW bus roll over (just by gravity) and completely crush a plastic wheel chock. It showed how useless they were. After that, I bought solid rubber ones from HFT. You can't find something like that anywhere else and I've looked.
This is the kind of stuff that makes it interesting to go there ... Stuff you never knew you needed, but can't live without once you have it. Also, things that you know are going to get torn up or lost, and don't want to spend a lot for.

I'm a big Craftsman fan for hand tools.