Dash cameras

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
KuroNekko

I recently bought a dash cam and it arrived today. I bought an Ojocam Pro with GPS after reading an article (more like ad) on Jalopnik.com about some car-related gizmos on sale. The cam was on sale for a short time so I got one given I've wanted a dash cam for a while. The sample videos on youtube were great and the cam had good reviews. It can also video-stamp the time, date, speed, and long and lat coordinates from the GPS. This is great for contesting driving infractions in court if needed.
Options include mic on or off recording, motion-detection recording, and a bunch of other things. It also came with a 16 GB MicroSD card which it records onto.

I've played with my real camera (Canon G9) and iPhone5 for taking some dash videos, but neither are very good with having the lens stay focused on the road. On the contrary, dash cam lenses are designed for the purpose and also have a wide-angle lens. Vibrations are also a big issue with cameras recording dash footage and I think dash cams are designed to account for that. Lastly, non-dash cams are miserable for recording video at night while dash cams appear to record much better.

I'm curious if anyone else has a dash cam in their Kizashi. I know they are more popular in countries like Russia and China given the accidents and high rates insurance/injury frauds they have related to them. I didn't feel like I needed one here in the US, but it was on sale so I got it more for recording drives and the like.

I will post videos if anyone is interested.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
krell

Always had a dash cam in all my cars... i got a Vico -SF2 now in the Suzuki gonna upgrade to the Vico TF2+ soon.

http://dashcamtalk.com/
http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/11/23 ... o-see.html
Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you're living?
murcod

I've got 2 Mobius - one mounted looking out the front windscreen and another looking out the rear windscreen.
David
Woodie

I don't know a thing about them, but a guy on GeoMetroForum who has been using dashcams for ten years just recommended this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... z3k9730p25
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
bootymac

Is this the one you bought?

http://www.ojocam.com/ojocam-pro-dash-c ... detection/

I like its small form factor. How do you plan on mounting and wiring it? I'm very interested in seeing your setup
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote:Is this the one you bought?

http://www.ojocam.com/ojocam-pro-dash-c ... detection/

I like its small form factor. How do you plan on mounting and wiring it? I'm very interested in seeing your setup
Yup, that's it, but I got it for $87 with the 16 GB MicroSD card included and free shipping via newegg.com.
I don't have the wire routed well yet, but it's long enough to route out of the way. I've been more focused on testing it out since I just got it yesterday.
Overall, I really like it especially for the sub-100 dollar price. It's small and discreet so it's the kind you can leave in your car and many people won't notice.

Some key features I like are the GPS capabilites which allow an executable software on the device (when connected to a PC) to see both the dash cam video and a Google Earth map along with speed.
It's also got a built-in battery for use out of the car like taking photos of accident damage. The battery is also handy for connecting to the TV via HDMI which creates a rather enjoyable viewing experience.

Here's a good review on it. It's the same product, but some options and included contents are slightly different as there apparently is a difference between US market and Euro market models.

[youtube][/youtube]
bootymac

Good review. I'm really liking how small it is. Are you going to hardwire it?
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote:Good review. I'm really liking how small it is. Are you going to hardwire it?
Not for the time being. I want to keep things flexible as I also plan to use it in the VW camper. I have to buy another GPS-enabled mount for the VW and possibly another power cable as I routed mine in the Kizashi for the time being.
I wonder if the others here with dash cams hardwired it into their Kizashis.
KuroNekko

Here's my set-up:
I mounted the camera in front of the rear view mirror. From the driver's seat, the camera is not visible at all. I made sure that the camera would not get in the way of any adjustments of the mirror and that the removal of the camera was not obstructed by the mirror.

I also routed the power cable around the headliner and down the driver side A pillar. I first tried to tuck it behind the headliner, but saw that the wire easily fell out. I then opted to use some double-sided tape which worked a lot better.

I then had the cable run down the side and across the dash but kept in place with double-sided tape. I then ran the cable into the opening for the steering wheel column and behind the lower panel. I had to remove the panel and route the wire behind it.

I then ran the wire to the back of the center console along the driver's side. I opted not to adhere the wire with tape to give it the flexibility of being powered by either cigarette lighter socket. I currently have the wire plugged into the socket located inside the armrest console box. The box even features a cord outlet groove so it can run the wire out and still close properly.

The camera is rather discreet, but I still plan to remove it when I park the car.
005.JPG
005.JPG (296.32 KiB) Viewed 16153 times
006.JPG
006.JPG (275.96 KiB) Viewed 16153 times
013.JPG
013.JPG (393.74 KiB) Viewed 16153 times
009.JPG
009.JPG (289.73 KiB) Viewed 16153 times
008.JPG
008.JPG (286.51 KiB) Viewed 16153 times
bootymac

Do you know what will happen when the memory card is full? I'm hoping it'll continually overwrite old footage so you can just leave it alone until you need it (hopefully never)