Dash cameras

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
SamirD

murcod wrote:I've got 2 Mobius - one mounted looking out the front windscreen and another looking out the rear windscreen.
Wow! Why such a serious setup?
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:Here's my set-up:

The camera is rather discreet, but I still plan to remove it when I park the car.
Thank you for sharing!

Why remove it when parked? Isn't that kinda the point behind a dashcam?
murcod

SamirD wrote:
murcod wrote:I've got 2 Mobius - one mounted looking out the front windscreen and another looking out the rear windscreen.
Ever had someone tail gate you and then do something stupid in front? It happens way too often where I drive.

I had an incident a while back that could have turned out very bad (head-on on a blind sweeping bend.) When I reviewed the footage from both cameras the "full story" unfolded. Things had gone on behind me that I wasn't aware of. That footage made it to the Police. ;)
David
KuroNekko

The point of a dash cam is to record while you're driving. Sure, the car may get damaged while parked, but most accidents happen while people are driving. Also, dash cams are popular in China and Russia because they have a lot of accident-related fraud. Dash cams are excellent in providing evidence that a "victim's" claims are total bullshit.
Here's a good compilation showing these types of frauds caught on dash cams:

[youtube][/youtube]

I got one just for fun because I got a good deal. I didn't really need it though it can only help in claims against others in accidents and DC has the highest accident rates in the nation. People here can't drive for shit.

Also, dash cams are great for contesting the police in court. In fact, some Americans have used them to prove the police were in the wrong when they caused accidents yet claimed the citizen "ran a red light" or some other nonsense. Most people believe a cop's version until incontrovertible footage proves otherwise.

The reason I take it off is to minimize the risk of theft. It's discreet enough, but I rather not risk it. My work often takes me to the most dangerous parts of the city so I rather leave no incentive for someone to break into my car and steal something. If I worked/lived in a safe area, I may not bother removing it.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SamirD

murcod wrote:
SamirD wrote:
Ever had someone tail gate you and then do something stupid in front? It happens way too often where I drive.

I had an incident a while back that could have turned out very bad (head-on on a blind sweeping bend.) When I reviewed the footage from both cameras the "full story" unfolded. Things had gone on behind me that I wasn't aware of. That footage made it to the Police. ;)
Wow, scary! Glad you were okay! :shock:
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:Most judges believe a cop's version until incontrovertible footage proves otherwise.

The reason I take it off is to minimize the risk of theft. It's discreet enough, but I rather not risk it. My work often takes me to the most dangerous parts of the city so I rather leave no incentive for someone to break into my car and steal something. If I worked/lived in a safe area, I may not bother removing it.
I fixed it for you. :mrgreen:

I completely understand the theft perspective. Really makes me want to get that pedal lock that you posted in that other thread. MKE has a high rate of crime as well and is listed on the top 25 most dangerous cities to live in. Although it's also the most segregated, so if you stay in the safe parts, you're fine.
KuroNekko

SamirD wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:Most judges believe a cop's version until incontrovertible footage proves otherwise.

I fixed it for you. :mrgreen:

I completely understand the theft perspective. Really makes me want to get that pedal lock that you posted in that other thread. MKE has a high rate of crime as well and is listed on the top 25 most dangerous cities to live in. Although it's also the most segregated, so if you stay in the safe parts, you're fine.
No, even most citizens believe cops over other witnesses in court. Police officers are actually professional witnesses so they regularly testify in court. It really depends on your experiences with the police whether you believe them or not. In this regard, your race and socio-economics can play a huge factor in how you view the police.
Until I took on my job as a defense investigator, I generally trusted the police. After this experience, I simply see how they frequently commit perjury on the stand and there is no legal ramification for this. The result is that the prosecution's case simply loses credibility, but nothing actually happens to the cop for lying his ass off on the stand. Hence, they keep doing it.
I really appreciate good, honest cops but I consider a lying, corrupt cop as one of the most dangerous things in society as they have the power to put innocent people behind bars.
Also, their disregard of obeying laws such as traffic laws also puts citizens in danger. Here's an example and sadly, the good cop in this case was harassed by other cops despite doing the right thing and apprehending the bad cop.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/12/offi ... arassment/

In terms of us drivers, dash cams can help you prove the police were wrong as it did in this case:
http://7online.com/archive/9500865/
bootymac

What are your thoughts on the GPS and speedometer? Some users believe that they can only work against them in court
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote:What are your thoughts on the GPS and speedometer? Some users believe that they can only work against them in court
Not sure how it can work against you. It's your evidence and not something the police will have easy access to without a search warrant signed by a judge. I'd never give it up unless they have a search warrant for it. In fact, I'd never let a cop search my car without a search warrant. You have rights so might was well exercise them (at least in the US).

If you know that you were not speeding or running a stop/red light, then the GPS data and speed is very helpful. It can prove that you came to a full stop (0 MPH) and the longitude and latitude can prove the location very accurately. My Ojocam even comes with a mapping software mated to the dash cam view that shows where the car was on a map that corresponds to the camera video. It also has a speedometer. You can play something like this in traffic court to prove that you weren't speeding, didn't run a stop sign/red light, or that an accident was not your fault.

If the video is incriminating, simply don't use it. There is little chance the police can take that footage from you for a number of legal reasons (they need a search warrant and it could possibly violate 5th Amendment rights). I can ask lawyers for the details on the law but I can't see how it can hurt you unless you are doing things like drive-bys or other felonies in which the police will definitely obtain a search warrant.

Regardless, these dash cams let you select what you want stamped on the video. You can remove speed and long/lat if you want. You can remove even date and time.
I simply have it all on given I can't see how it can hurt me and it can only help me in contesting things.

The only thing I have off is audio recording. However, the camera features audio recording on/off with a touch of a button so it's easy to switch based on need.

I plan on uploading a video here soon as a sample of what it looks like with a Kizashi. The clip also has audio.
bootymac

KuroNekko wrote:
bootymac wrote:What are your thoughts on the GPS and speedometer? Some users believe that they can only work against them in court
Not sure how it can work against you. It's your evidence and not something the police will have easy access to without a search warrant signed by a judge.
Thanks! That's exactly what I figured but it's good to hear it from someone more qualified than myself