Driving in the Snow for a Newbie

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
twoqttsdad

Thanks for the advice.

I don't think I will be driving into Yosemite but I'll leave the planning to my wife. She lives for that kind of stuff, planning, itineraries, etc.

Thinking of renting a Rav4 or an Accord from a rental place called Sakura. Probably better to go witha FWD vehicle in possible snow? Thinking that the OEM tires on these are ok. The wife tells me that rental places don't allow snow chains on their cars.
2012 SLS
Azure Grey
FWD CVT
bootymac

It sounds like a lot more planning is ahead of you

http://www.yosemitepark.com/yosemite-wi ... iving.aspx
twoqttsdad

Didn't drive in Yosemite but did some near Bass Lake, south of Yosemite.

They had a low of 18 degrees and ice all over the place. Neat to drive on it slowly on a level surface with no one around, but not so when on a winding mountain road with a shear drop off on one side! My wife wasn't smiling then.

The Nissan Maxima I rented was powerful but i expected more from their flagshi
2012 SLS
Azure Grey
FWD CVT
SamirD

Be very, very cautious. If these roads are winding with a dropoff and covered in ice, personally, I'd almost rather walk than drive. Ice is no joke and is the equivalent of what it is made out to be in cartoons--you will fly far and fast with the mass of a car sliding on that stuff.

Our Kizashi is an awd sls sport with Alimax Arctc tires on it. And I still take it very, very easy when driving in MKE. Just two days ago, I was passed by two different cars that less than two blocks later were touching bumpers and one had plowed right into a parking spot trying to avoid hitting anything. I would hate to imagine that on a 2-lane mountain road with nowhere to go...
sx4rocious

I live in Indiana and grew up in the Illinois plains. My snow driving consists of EXTREMELY FLAT and STRAIT county roads and highways, to take this advice for what it's worth...

When stopping, be sure to give yourself triple the distance you think you'll need as stated before. I ALWAYS shift my car (a 5MT) into Nuetral and coast as much as possible when approaching a stop, then casually and softly "pump" the brakes on and off until I reach a complete stop. I believe most of this is to prevent me from stomping the brakes if I start sliding or to keep me from accidentally hitting the gas. Whatever the reason, it works, and can be done in an auto as well. It was especially effective to shift into nuetral when trying to stop going downhill. Some like the engine braking aspect, however, coasting always worked better for me...

Once again, take my advice for what it's worth please, and enjoy the mainland!
SamirD

I use the pump brakes method too! I try to let off the accelerator early enough that the friction of the snow will stop the car where I want it. If I need the brakes, it's soft pumping like you mentioned. I also use this pumping to get people to slow down behind me if I feel they're coming too fast. People think there's trouble when they see brake lights flashing like that.

I'll also do a 'friction test' as I call it when initially getting onto winter roads. This consists of finding a flat road with no traffic and jamming on the brakes at slow speed to figure out how quickly the tires break away and abs kicks in. This calibrates me for the pumping action when normally stopping.