Subaru Levorg

Non-Suzuki related topics. Anything can go here.
KuroNekko

On my recent trip to Japan, I got to check out a Subaru Levorg at a Subaru showroom in Tokyo. This vehicle is only available in Japan so many outside Japan don't know too much about it.

What is it? It's essentially like a new WRX wagon. It's considerably more upscale than an Impreza and given the recent schism of the WRX from the Impreza lineage, it makes sense the Levorg exists.
The Levorg is offered in only turbocharged engines with a choice of either a 1.6 liter or a 2.0 liter displacement. The 2.0 is the same motor found in the JDM version of the WRX and outputs about 300 HP (yes, more than the USDM WRX). The 1.6 outputs about 170 HP.

Another thing to note about the Levorg is that it's only offered with the CVT. In fact, my checks into the JDM WRX show the same. You have to get a STI if you want a 6MT. In the USDM, the WRX is offered with either the CVT or the 6MT.

A lot of American critics of the new WRX gripe that Subaru does not offer a wagon version like in the past. The Levorg, in essence, is that wagon now for Japan. Whether it will make it to the US is unknown at this point, but Subaru just broke 500,000 units sold last year in US sales. This was ahead of their own predictions for the year. Given they are growing rapidly in popularity, it may be that the Levorg may make it to North America. In that case, I hope it's also offered in a 6MT. Suzuki did so with the Kizashi for foreign markets while the JDM only got CVT models.

Below are some of the photos I snapped while checking out the Levorg.
Personally, I liked the car and found it to be like an utilitarian WRX. It looks and feels more upscale than an Impreza wagon, especially when compared side by side. The Levorg was really like a wagon version of the red WRX S4 sedan located next to it.
However, I found the rear seats to be smaller than expected and the seats were rather firm. The Kizashi's rear seats are far more comfortable in comparison.

Lastly, they had a cut-away display of Subaru's Lineartronic CVT. I thought it was cool to see inside one. You can clearly see what the CVT belt looks like.
262.JPG
262.JPG (143.68 KiB) Viewed 13390 times
281.JPG
281.JPG (124.15 KiB) Viewed 13390 times
282.JPG
282.JPG (134.24 KiB) Viewed 13390 times
263.JPG
263.JPG (124.55 KiB) Viewed 13390 times
264.JPG
264.JPG (110.29 KiB) Viewed 13390 times
265.JPG
265.JPG (102.81 KiB) Viewed 13390 times
280.JPG
280.JPG (120.4 KiB) Viewed 13390 times
266.JPG
266.JPG (155.67 KiB) Viewed 13390 times
272.JPG
272.JPG (130.34 KiB) Viewed 13390 times
256.JPG
256.JPG (163.3 KiB) Viewed 13390 times
258.JPG
258.JPG (273.42 KiB) Viewed 13390 times
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bootymac

Very cool. Apparently Levorg is a combination of three words: LEgacy, reVOlution, touRinG. It looks more WRX than Legacy to me though
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote:Very cool. Apparently Levorg is a combination of three words: LEgacy, reVOlution, touRinG. It looks more WRX than Legacy to me though
Yup, I read that too about the name origins, but it doesn't make much sense given the Legacy is a much bigger vehicle. In fact, there was a Legacy sedan right next to this Levorg. Also, the Outback is the wagon version of the Legacy for NA and is even sold in Japan. They had an entire cut-away Outback on display.

While I did read that the Levorg was somewhat intended as the new Legacy wagon too, it's clear that it's most closely related to the WRX. I consider it the WRX wagon for the JDM. Not only is the powertrain similar, but also the size and styling. The backseat of the Levorg isn't that spacious as you can see while the Legacy offers much more space. The new Legacy was designed for more sales in the US so it's bigger than ever. Unless Subaru plans to split the USDM Legacy from future JDM Legacies, it doesn't seem fitting to treat the Levorg as some kind of Legacy.
sx4rocious

KuroNekko wrote:
bootymac wrote:Very cool. Apparently Levorg is a combination of three words: LEgacy, reVOlution, touRinG. It looks more WRX than Legacy to me though
Yup, I read that too about the name origins, but it doesn't make much sense given the Legacy is a much bigger vehicle.
because Wrvolrge is too harf to pronounce... :mrgreen:
Luke Kizashi

Subaru is deciding by march this year if it will come to Australia. I hope so! Looks great!
KuroNekko

Luke Kizashi wrote:Subaru is deciding by march this year if it will come to Australia. I hope so! Looks great!
It only makes sense to make the Levorg into a global car. Subaru is growing in popularity like no other in the US and many complain of the lack of a WRX wagon here. Right now, it's either a lowly Impreza wagon or a bulky Outback. The Levorg would be a great addition that would make the rising brand have a broader line-up to appeal to more people. It's also a performance-oriented wagon unlike the Impreza and Outback.
I think this JDM-only vehicle needs to become a global vehicle.
hotnyh

We just had an Auto Show in Singapore 2 weeks ago. The Subaru dealer showed off the Levorg 1.6T but could not say when they are bringing it in. Said it will come for sure though at some point. It looks great and I wouldn't mind getting another Subie (had an Impreza in 2004). But given the pathetic resale I'll get on my Kizashi, I might eventually trade in with the Suzuki dealer (I get $1K 'loyalty discount') for the S-Cross or upcoming Vitara when I need to change my car. For now though, the Kiz is doing ok save for some rattles on the passenger side which elude my attempts to isolate.
NickL

One of the cars that I am very excited about pruchasing is actually Levorg. I war reading about it a lot and watched many Youtube videos and as more as I do, ti makes me want it more too.

My Kizashi is doing just fine apart from one Parking sensor that need to be serviced or replaced, but it doesn't actually influence the driving experience. However, in January mu Kizashi will be 12 years old and even though it is still perfectly reliable car, I am looking toward seeling it in good shape and trying to get a solid price for it rather than waiting that something breaks and having a problem repairing it with limited spare parts availabe.

Saying so, I was very much interested in buying Mayda 6 or CX5 with 2.5 Petrol engine but these cars with bigger Petrol engines in Europe is not so easy to find. Most of them are Diesel. Despite the fact that I like Mazda design and philosophy so much, these cars are also often seen on the streets and represent nothing special even though they have great quality and reliability.

Levorg is from other side, the total opposite. It is rare Wagon car with distinctive looks, great safety features, according to my taste beatifull design inside and out, and off course that famous boxer engine paired with permanent Subarus all wheel drive. I am not a fan of a CVT but I heard that Lineatronic from Subary is actually one of the best in the market and that it has simulated gears and reminds a lot on clasic automatic transmission. The only thing that I feel sorry about when it comes to Levorg is that in bloddy Europe it is not offered with that amazing 2 Litre Turbo engine from WRX that outputs 267 bhp. Because of the stupid CO2 emissions of the EU, here in Europe we only get 1.6Turbo with 170hp or NA 2 Litre with 150 hp. I mean, for a normal family car 170 hp is just enough. However, it pisses me off the fact that car has a great performance oriented engine that actualy has very similar consumption with a smaller 1.6 engine, but because of stupid Eruopean laws we can't have it here. What a pitty!

However, I would be testing the Levorg in some near future, and to be honest after a long time, it is after Kizashi one rear car that really turns me on. :)
"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing". H. Ford