Suzuki leaving the Canadian Market?

Information regarding future changes to the Kizashi. Press releases regarding the car and motorsports related topics go here.
sciraddo

Has anyone heard if Suzuki in leaving the Canadian Market?

Last week I got a call from a salesman at Tricity Mitsubishi, formerly Orca Bay Suzuki where I bought my car. He told me he had a customer looking for my specific car, a FWD 6 speed manual and wanted to know if I was interested in a trade.

I went in on the weekend to see what they would do for me. The manager sits down and goes on and on about how Suzuki had filed for bankrupcy in the USA and now it seems that they will be leaving Canada too, within the next 6 months. Then they tried to up sell me to a $54,000 Evolution. Geesh!

Anyone shed a light on this rumour?
Stodge

I haven't heard anything but one of my two local Suzuki dealers switched to Mitsubishi.
newworld2004

I hope not, however if Suzuki Canada doesn't import cars/truck for Canadian market such as new SX4 or S Cross that might the sign.
2010 Dark Blue SLS FWD CVT
1998 Mitsubishi Montero Winter Package
1994 Soft-Top Samurai Sold
1993 Isuzu Trooper 2DR Sold
KuroNekko

The worst thing you could do is trade in your under-appreciated Kizashi for a Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi is believed to be the next automaker who may leave the US. They are doing very poorly just about everywhere, especially the US.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
sciraddo

I told them that my Kizashi was way better built than their Lancer and where am I going to use the 300hp except on a track.
chazyouwin

It sounds to me like the dealer is using false pretenses to lure its past customer base into the dealership and churn sales. There's a one-two punch-line: 1, a potential customer wants your car, so come in and we'll discuss; 2, you need to purchase one of our new vehicles because your maker is leaving the market. If either had been true, then why didn't the dealer just convince the potential customer to purchase a Mitsubishi?
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
Northernstar

Haven't heard anything from my two local suzuki dealers
jono6406

I was in Charleston SC yesterday an stopped by Strom Suzuki. They only had one 2013 Suzuki left and they tried to get me to trade my Kizashi (no way). They told me they weren't getting any more Suzuki's and they will only service Suzuki's for ten years with an agreement with ASMC. THAT DEALER REALLY LOOKED LIKE A USED CAR LOT..Boy it's a shame and really sad at what ASMC has done to the brand in the US. I really like the car but I will never buy a suzuki car nor motorcycle again. I am finished with them forever when I get rid of mines.
KuroNekko

jono6406 wrote:I was in Charleston SC yesterday an stopped by Strom Suzuki. They only had one 2013 Suzuki left and they tried to get me to trade my Kizashi (no way). They told me they weren't getting any more Suzuki's and they will only service Suzuki's for ten years with an agreement with ASMC. THAT DEALER REALLY LOOKED LIKE A USED CAR LOT..Boy it's a shame and really sad at what ASMC has done to the brand in the US. I really like the car but I will never buy a suzuki car nor motorcycle again. I am finished with them forever when I get rid of mines.
It's sad what Suzuki has become, but ASMC isn't all to blame. I researched on the matter and sounds like Japanese executives really ignored ASMC's suggestions and tried to ignorantly run the US market from Japan. It's disappointing because had Suzuki taken the right steps at the right time, they may have seen huge success. If I were an executive, I would have brought the Swift and Swift Sport to the US in 2008/2009. It was then that Americans scrambled for cheaper and smaller fuel efficient cars. Coincidentally, Mini saw profits that year when most of the industry were in red ink. There was clearly a demand for small cars and the Swift would have fit in well.
Poor marketing and the dealership network were also reasons for Suzuki's demise. Their cars weren't bad, but a little too stagnant in design and technology. The Kizashi was supposed to change that (the meaning of the name even suggested it) but it came too late and the marketing of the car was too little. As we all know, it was ignored while lesser cars like the Sonata and Optima took off.

On the other hand, I would not write off Suzuki motorcycles. They have a very good reputation in the motorcycle world and some Suzuki bikes are rather popular in the US. Nearly all of my friends ride motorcycles and all of them have commended Suzuki bikes. Also, the Suzuki GSX-R series is one of the most popular street bikes from what I have read. I don't ride motorcycles, but plan to in the near future. I will be looking at entry level bikes and used Suzukis will definitely be on my list.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

I get those letters in the mail all the time for vehicles I haven't owned for years. Like the Jeep. The motor was ready to take a dump 2 years ago, and the very same dealer who I constantly complained to about the motor "needs my 2004 Rubicon...come on in!".

Used vehicle inventory is still low and wholesale auction prices are still too high. Like chazy said...1-2 punch. They would love to steal your trade from you under false pretense.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)