What Did You Do With Your Kizashi Today?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
KuroNekko

n8dogg wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:
In the US, many have a mindset that bigger is better. Sometimes it is, but not always. The third-row SUV phenomenon always puzzles me. People overvalue those terrible third rows in SUVs and if they were so important to one's family, get a minivan. They are so much better in terms of access and comfort. However, people have this mindset that certain things are good or gotta-haves... like 3rd row seats in SUVs so they think bigger is better.
Hey, I resemble that remark!

We proudly owned a mini-van (2004 Toyota Sienna XLE with tow package) for years and we really did enjoy it. But I was towing and bringing more and more toys with it every time we vacationed somewhere with it. I'm sure I was past weight limits with it on more than one occasion. Although I did my best to mitigate it with things like a weight distribution hitch, helper air bags in the rear coil suspension, trailer brake controller and upgraded dual piston front brakes with larger rotors and so on. But alas, I could only do so much with that van. AND we regularly used that third row seat. I only have two children, but they have grandparents and friends and dogs and we love bringing company on our adventures!
The third row really is a joke on most SUV's, they seem to be installed as an after thought. We sat in many, nothing in the mid size would come close to the space of a mini-van. Even in the full size market (Tahoe/Yukon/Expedition), the third row is was cramped unless you went extended length (Suburban/Yukon XL/Expedition EL) and even then we still found them uncomfortable for long hauls. For us it came down to the Toyota Sequoia and Nissan Armada. On paper, both very comparable. On price, at least for 2013 models, the Armada was $10k less! There is definitely less room behind the third row for cargo, seeing how these models can't be had in extended lengths, but the third row is roomy and comfortable. So we got the Armada Platinum Reserve! It has auto leveling rear air suspension, It tows our little trailer and gear without braking a sweat, it hauls my son and I with our mountain bikes up an on old logging road with ruts that the Sienna never could have, and on and on and on.....

Now I just need a bigger trailer, because bigger IS better! :D
See, at least you use an SUV for what it's made for like towing and off-pavement driving. Unfortunately, there are millions of others who get truck-based SUVs or large CUVs and specifically want the 3rd row though they will never drive offroad or tow anything. At least you take yours on adventures!
I had to talk my sister-in-law out of wanting a Toyota Sequoia and getting a minivan. Living in So Cal, she doesn't need AWD or 4x4 and has absolutely nothing to tow but has three kids. She got a Chrysler Pacifica and now gets it why minivans are the superior people-hauler. I just wished they could have waited for the PHEV version given they often take short local trips in it.

As for your Nissan Armada, it sounds like it was the better deal. Toyota trucks are often overpriced with inflated resale value. They are great trucks but I question the halo-status they have on resale value. It's also possible that the Nissan was cheaper given there is a new generation Nissan Armada now which is based on a different vehicle; the Nissan Patrol. Unlike your Titan-based Armada that was made in the USA, the new one is made in Japan and based on a global platform. Maybe these big changes made the older Armada a better deal on the used market? As for the Toyota Sequoia, the 2013 model year still shares the same generation as the current one though it's ten years old now.

Speaking of full-size Japanese SUVs, I really wish Toyota would give us a cheaper, austere version of the Land Cruiser for more adventure and duty usage... like the rest of the world gets. The USDM Land Cruiser seems redundant to the Lexus LX version given they are both luxed up and cost 80K and above. Yeah, I get it why American consumers should have a luxury version but I find the LC and LX too similar, especially when Toyota currently lacks more dedicated offroaders other than the 4Runner (which has gotten big and expensive).
I hope the new Suzuki Jimny becomes a global sales success so Toyota and others realize the universal thirst for cheaper and smaller dedicated 4x4s and give us something fun and affordable.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
KuroNekko

The other day, I finally took my Kizashi up to Lake Arrowhead, the place in the mountains about 5500 ft up where I used to live. I drove up Highway 18 which is a windy mountain road hugging the cliff at some points. I have long dreamed about driving my Kizashi up there while I was in the east coast. The Kizashi drove up beautifully, providing a satisfying combination of handling and power unlike the previous cars I used to have. It was also nice not having to turn off the A/C for once though I monitored the coolant temperature as I climbed up the mountain on the 103 F day.

While I wished I could have stayed up there longer to drive around, the purpose was to do some yard work for my family's plot of land left after the cabin burned down years ago. However, I promised myself that I'd be back soon to enjoy the roads in the Kizashi and also camp out.

The Kizashi is truly unique in that it's an engaging sedan to drive in the curves with confident handling yet is also a relaxing car to soak up the miles while cruising on the freeways. Most cars that offer such a combination come from Europe with hefty price tags and questionable reliability.

While I planned to take some scenic photographs along some of the breathtaking turn-outs, the visibility wasn't so great for photos largely due to a wild fire in the distance. The smoke clouded up the view down the mountain. However, I did take a few snap shots from my dash cam of the drive up.
vlcsnap-00001.jpg
vlcsnap-00001.jpg (260.75 KiB) Viewed 6304 times
vlcsnap-00002.jpg
vlcsnap-00002.jpg (255.57 KiB) Viewed 6304 times
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:
SamirD wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:It appears that American cars are too big and too costly to operate for most Japanese while Suzukis and Daihatsus were too small and too budget-minded for most Americans to consider seriously.
I think this is really because cars aren't 'one size fit all', and Americans are on average much larger than people in Japan. :oops:
While Americans are larger in general, we're all human so the variation isn't that much. It's more about desirability rather than dimensions. In Japan, owning a car is costly in everything from fuel, taxation, to parking. People generally want small cars that cost little to own and is cheap to fuel. Given many get around on public transportation, you don't need a car all the time like many Americans.

In the US, many have a mindset that bigger is better. Sometimes it is, but not always. The third-row SUV phenomenon always puzzles me. People overvalue those terrible third rows in SUVs and if they were so important to one's family, get a minivan. They are so much better in terms of access and comfort. However, people have this mindset that certain things are good or gotta-haves... like 3rd row seats in SUVs so they think bigger is better.

Another thing I want to add is the difference between Japan and America's outlook on small cars. Here, in the US, the image is that small cars are for people who don't have much money. They are basically econo-boxes designed to cost little and run on less. In Japan, it's a bit different as most cars are smaller anyway. You can get refinement even in a small package. I've seen some upscale trims of small cars in Japan that you'd never find in the US. You can also get purpose-built vehicles in small packages like the Honda S660 and the Suzuki Jimny.

Another thing is the model variation. It seems that the US likes to offer fewer models and have each model be more generalized. Over in Japan, the line-up is far more expansive with greater variations, styles, and body types.
For example, compare Toyota's offerings between the US and Japan.
The first link is Toyota's US line-up which includes redundancy in the list by just model year.
https://www.toyota.com/all-vehicles/

Here is Japan's Toyota line-up in comparison. There is redundancy but the differences even within a certain model is enough to give it a different name:
https://toyota.jp/carlineup/?padid=tjpt ... _carlineup
Very good analysis. And having recently rented a Nissan Armada with the 3rd row, I completely agree with you on the third row--a minivan wasn't available or that would have been 10x better for us.

Lovely to see the differences between the cars offered in both markets--the smaller offerings in Japan and also the pickup trucks in the US that I didn't see available in Japan. But what really caught my eye was the throwback styled Century:
https://toyota.jp/century/

It reminds me of the Lincoln Mark factory high mileage test car that my dad 'checked out' for a trip when he used to work at Ford. (The high mileage test cars were cars employees could 'check out' for trips or use so they'd get the miles they need for testing. I still remember this one had a series of 20 square buttons on the glove compartment area that I now realize were probably for initiating certain test modes of operation. We just drove it to Florida and back from what I recall.) The Century looks like Toyota's answer to the Maybach.
SamirD

That drive looked awesome KuroNekko. :)

Most recent thing I did was finally really push the lateral limits of the car flying into intersections at 60mph making turns to see if it holds the line--which it does! The car is far more capable than I am as a driver and I would hazard a guess that because of the current tires (Bridgestone re760as) and the awd, that the car would probably exceed the cornering speeds of my Boxster in these same intersections even if both were driven by professional drivers. Very happy. :)
Ronzuki

KuroNekko wrote:The Kizashi is truly unique in that it's an engaging sedan to drive in the curves with confident handling yet is also a relaxing car to soak up the miles while cruising on the freeways. Most cars that offer such a combination come from Europe with hefty price tags and questionable reliability.
Yep...exactly. It's also a right-size sedan which adds to its engaging personality...big enough for four average people to be comfortable in on long drives and not too big as a very comfortable daily driver, yet big enough. Really going to miss this car when it's days are done.

It's good you were able to enjoy the drive you've long considered. I've always wanted to run mine on the Dragon's Tail this side of the Mississippi. Maybe I'll make a point of that before I can't...'cept I'll likely end up with a moving violation from the local PD of some sort or other as a momento.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
n8dogg

Performed 90k mile maintenance. Oil, filters and rotated tires per usual plus first time coolant flush. Did it myself, as well as replaced thermostat and radiator cap. The manual doesn't call for replacing the thermostat and cap, just experiences from previous cars. I did test the cap on a pressure tester and it was about 4 PSI different from the new cap.
'12 Kizashi SLS AWD w/RF sound
easy to chip Vivid Red and 25% window tint
Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus II
Power Stop Rotors and Pads
183,xxx miles and still lovin it!
KuroNekko

SamirD wrote: But what really caught my eye was the throwback styled Century:
https://toyota.jp/century/
Yeah, the Century is an interesting vehicle. It's Japan's executive luxury sedan with an undeniable Japanese approach to auto-making. It's not over-the-top in luxury or design, but the focus is on supreme comfort for the occupants and obsessive build quality. Specs and performance take a back seat to craftsmanship and quality here. They also don't price it exuberantly and compared to Mayback, Rolls-Royce, etc., it's priced moderately.
Toyota just released their new one which was the first in nearly 20 years, much like the Suzuki Jimny. And like the Jimny, they borrowed a lot of the styling from the previous models to keep the heritage look. For those who know the cars, the new ones are instantaneously recognizable. However, the powertain has changed quite a bit. It used to be powered by a hand-built V12 but now runs a V8 with a hybrid system. How Toyota of them.
Jalopnik had an article on the new Toyota Century recently if you want some more details on the car.
https://jalopnik.com/the-new-toyota-cen ... 1827051411

Nissan used to have a competitor called the Nissan President but I don't think they make them anymore.
Ronzuki wrote: Yep...exactly. It's also a right-size sedan which adds to its engaging personality...big enough for four average people to be comfortable in on long drives and not too big as a very comfortable daily driver, yet big enough. Really going to miss this car when it's days are done.

It's good you were able to enjoy the drive you've long considered. I've always wanted to run mine on the Dragon's Tail this side of the Mississippi. Maybe I'll make a point of that before I can't...'cept I'll likely end up with a moving violation from the local PD of some sort or other as a momento.
I agree about the Kizashi's size. It's not that it's small but today's USDM "midsizes" have gotten big. Much like trucks, the newer models just got bigger and bigger. Today's midsize pick-ups and sedans are what full-size models were decades ago. I find that the Kizashi is the right size for someone like me who occasionally uses the rear seats and I don't get complaints on the legroom ever. Much like you, I prefer the tidy dimensions of the Kizashi which isn't any larger than it needs to be.

As for enjoying famous drives, for certain! I enjoyed the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia a few times before I left the East. I enjoyed it a little too much the second time, according to a State Trooper. Oops.
While I drove the entire BRP in VA, I didn't get the chance to drive the North Carolina segment. Some day. I also want to check out the Dragon's Tail, but much like Mulholland Drive in Los Angeles, the road is popular with motorcyclists who aren't always in check with their speeds and lean angles. Crashes are not uncommon on both roads. Gotta watch out.
Ronzuki

Off-season...colder temps was my plan should I get there. Fewer bikes.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Evanzo7

Anyone seen that Unqomn Builds Kizashi on YouTube and Instagram?

YT - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNFj90 ... 0DT3VRKLHg
Insta - https://www.instagram.com/unqomn/
"If in doubt , flat out" - Colin McRae 1968 -2007
SamirD

Took a >90deg turn at about 30-40mph without braking. Squealed all 4 tires, but probably shocked everyone as to how I was glued to the lanes and not sliding all over the place. Fun! :drive: :drive: :drive: