Kizashi second thoughts.. buyer's remorse.

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
KiZoo

Hey everyone. I'm the new guy here..
I just bought a 2012 Kizzy SE AWD and am starting to get cold feet!
I wish I would have looked into this vehicle a bit more.
I have been reading that the Jatco CVT transmissions are crap and will burn up at around 100K. My buddy has owned several Suzuki motorcycles that were fast as hell and problem free...so, why not grab this Kizashi!?
My car currently has 132k miles on it and seems to be okay.
I'm worried that this thing is gonna go belly up this winter. I really like this car, but I'm thinking now, I should dump it before I completely lose my shirt..
What say you?

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk
WESHOOT2

I've taken three past 135K. The hard way........
KiZoo

WESHOOT2 wrote:I've taken three past 135K. The hard way........
Hmmm. Yeah...trying to avoid that.
So these transmissions have a pretty high failure rate I take it.?

WESHOOT2

My experience with my Kizashis: Most reliable durable trouble-free cars I've owned. Except tires; all three ate/eat tires (or....could that be attributed to my driving style?).
KiZoo

WESHOOT2 wrote:My experience with my Kizashis: Most reliable durable trouble-free cars I've owned. Except tires; all three ate/eat tires (or....could that be attributed to my driving style?).
Ha! Yeah, my Kiz runs like a top.. just a beautiful car. Had to have been Suzuki's best kept secret. I checked the trans dipstick and the oil looks "clean"..
Dark green and transparent. Gonna do some more research and see what the consensus is on CVT trans oil flush n fills.
Carfax for my Kiz reported CVT oil changed at 55,000 on the clock. It appears to have been changed again at some point, but an ounce of prevention...

I'm totally new to Suzuki cars - save for the Samurai & Vitara. I spotted my Kiz on dealer lot and was drawn to it. Test drove it and bought it on the spot.
So, it looks like I'm at the right place.

Thanks for your input.

old tech

I think these Kizashi’s are the absolute bargain of the century. I have my wife in one. My dad in one. A niece and three nephews each have one and a brother has one . This is in addition to the stable full I have. Yes, they weak link in that cvt but , if addressed before the primary explodes , it can be renewed and even strengthened and ready for another 200,000 miles plus for around $100 if you can do your own work . Search cheap fix 10. Yours would probably be in the same condition .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KiZoo

old tech wrote:I think these Kizashi’s are the absolute bargain of the century. I have my wife in one. My dad in one. A niece and three nephews each have one and a brother has one . This is in addition to the stable full I have. Yes, they weak link in that cvt but , if addressed before the primary explodes , it can be renewed and even strengthened and ready for another 200,000 miles plus for around $100 if you can do your own work . Search cheap fix 10. Yours would probably be in the same condition .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for that! Gonna check it now.

NickL

If it ain't broke don't fix it, simple as that. I know that CVT is a weak point of the car but it is not made out of Glas either. Try to change transmision fuel and don't worry too much about the problems that actually don't exist. :)

Did someone out there tried to swap the cvr for a manual transmission? How difficult and expensive can be that adventure?
"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing". H. Ford
KiZoo

NickL wrote:If it ain't broke don't fix it, simple as that. I know that CVT is a weak point of the car but it is not made out of Glas either. Try to change transmision fuel and don't worry too much about the problems that actually don't exist. :)

Did someone out there tried to swap the cvr for a manual transmission? How difficult and expensive can be that adventure?
That's my way of thinking now that I've conversed with some other AWD owners.. Tryna get some info on what CVT juice to use..

Auto to manual? Hmmm.. that would be sweet.

KuroNekko

Given the looks of your Kizashi, it looks like it was well-cared for and even has a history of a CVT fluid change at 55K. At the current mileage, I'd change it again. The problem with the CVT was largely that Suzuki treated the transmission as "service-free". The reality was that it needed new fluid at traditional intervals like older cars with ATF. Change the fluid and if you really want that CVT to last another 100K, look into the mod that Old Tech is talking about.

I have a manual transmission Kizashi and while it lacks the AWD I don't need, it's like a bulletproof vehicle with no major mechanical vulnerabilities. 2 seconds faster to 60 MPH than an AWD model as bonus. :drive:
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)