Whinning Noise - CVT?

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Bizzenn

All I know is my portion is 0. That makes me happy.
FrankoLaMoya

Hey Bizzenn, how many KM on your Kiz? I am at 27 000...the whining noise is always there when the RPM is over 3500...winter and summer. Dealership mechanic said there is definitaly something wrong with the car, but there is no way they will replace the tranmission if they cannot pin point the problem...
2012 Suzuki Kizashi Sport iAWD CVT ''Kaijū'' (Black pearl metallic)

Priors:
2004 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 6MT ''Audini'' (Black)
1999 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 AT (Dark green)
1984 Chevrolet Malibu 3MT with a 327 engine lol (Blue)
1996 Acura Integra 5MT (Black)
Bizzenn

I have 42000 miles, not sure what that translates to in KM. I didn't expect them to replace it but this was the third time it was in and the suzuki rep had already drove it. My friend is the service director so I'm sure there was some influence there.
10GTSKiz

Its been a while since I have been on but I wanted to report that I too just started having this issue. My Kizashi is a 2010 GTS that is about to hit 50k. It has been bullet proof until now. The odd thing is my car was perfectly fine. I took it and dropped it off for an inspection and brakes last week at Wright Suzuki/Nissan and when I picked it up and drove home my car seemed louder and the CVT was whining. I have always had decent service there. They did not mention anything, they even stated they checked everything over. I have not called back as of yet. I actually praised my CVT to friends and family. It was always smooth and quiet. For the past week I have driven the car in a variety of situations and once the car gets hot, the whining sound comes on. The fluid level appears to be fine and looks normal. Do you think it may just need flushed? Any additional insight would be great.
coref1

Take it straight to your dealer and do not back off until they fix it to your satisfaction.
coref1

Even though I've got used to the cvt and sometimes even find it enjoyable i really think it is the Kizashi's weakest point. I would love to drive the Kizashi with a good traditional 6 speed auto as it may make the difference between a good car and and great car. On top of that there's the reliability concerns with the cvt that we probably wouldn't have with a traditional auto. These are concerns owners should not have to wear in a brand with the reputation of Suzuki. Eventually they'll probably iron out the reliability and driveability problems of cvt transmissions however I find it quite arrogant, disreputable and frustrating that car companies are selling cars at full price to owners with technology that is clearly still in development.
Bizzenn

Well here is the update. The new trans is in and it's like a whole different car. There is no lag when shifting into gear, there is no noise and it is much smoother. The lowand rough idle is also mostly gone. Paperwork said internal trans failure so if you have the same symptoms I had you will need a new trans. If it will give me 50k more miles I will be happy and then switch back to a normal auto.
murcod

Nice. :)
David
Bizzenn

I'll do my best to get a photo and I will look at the work order and post what I find. If it's useful info let me know because I do to really know what I'm looking for.
bdleonard

Bizzenn wrote:As far as the fluid, the rep from jatco said don't even bother until it hits 60k.
I'm sure the rep is right about fluid changes. JATCO seems to have this CVT thing nailed, after all ...