Suzuki Kizashis used as unmarked police cars in Japan

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
~tc~

What's the deal on the hood? I thought the side view mirrors had to be mounted on the fenders (so they can be viewed through the swept area on the windshield)
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
murcod

I was wondering if it's some sort of aero device to help deflect wind over the roof mounted lights? (I've read reports where similar roof lights severely hamper the top speed on local police cars.)
David
KuroNekko

murcod wrote:I was wondering if it's some sort of aero device to help deflect wind over the roof mounted lights? (I've read reports where similar roof lights severely hamper the top speed on local police cars.)
This is my guess as well. I think it's for the aerodynamics of the roof-mounted police lights.
These days, many police departments are going to sleeker LED police lights. There are even some designs that don't have any of the light protrude from the car's body to maximize aerodynamics.
Many of the unmarked police cars and gov't vehicles in DC have LEDs mounted in the grill, windows, and fenders and have nothing on the roof. There are even some marked police cars following this layout.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SamirD

bootymac wrote:Haven't you guys seen Tokyo Drift? Police cars here are only factory tuned. If you can do better than 180K they can't catch you, so they don't even try.

:lol:
Yep. They use the radio instead. :o I once saw 168mph on the speedometer on the Corvette and saw a 'Speed Limit 65' board go by. It took about me about 1000' to realize that 100mph+ over the speed limit would be a really bad ticket. I've heard of local 'highway run' street races get the road spikes to stop the cars. The story goes that the STI just hit the grassy median and went around while the s2000 tried the same and spun out. The STI wasn't caught by the state troopers, but later turned himself in.
KuroNekko wrote:This is why the Japanese police enlisted the help of Godzilla.
I WANT THIS CAR. I would love to be driving that all over the streets of the USA. It would be so fun delivering mail for a living. :lol:
KuroNekko wrote:This is my guess as well. I think it's for the aerodynamics of the roof-mounted police lights.
These days, many police departments are going to sleeker LED police lights. There are even some designs that don't have any of the light protrude from the car's body to maximize aerodynamics.
Many of the unmarked police cars and gov't vehicles in DC have LEDs mounted in the grill, windows, and fenders and have nothing on the roof. There are even some marked police cars following this layout.
There's actually a manufacturer of just dedicated police vehicles that has really great integrated lights. They have integrated everything and the car is just MEAN. And they're around the same prices as a comparably equipped 'police package' car.

I've seen unmarked cars of all sorts. The best was the Ford Taurus that had some suspicious extra vents on the front hood. He also had lights mounted on the passenger sunvisor that came on when flipped down.

The worst part about undercover is when you pass them at speed (ie they're going 80 in a 55 and you pass them)--nothing you can do when those lights go on. :(
KuroNekko

Some news on the Kizashi as it relates to Japanese police duty.
http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewto ... =13&t=2926
KuroNekko

Looks like the Kizashi now got the full "Panda" treatment as marked police cars are black and white in Japan.

[youtube][/youtube]
paininthenuts

murcod wrote:I bet they don't use them for Police chases - because that would be a bit embarrassing! :)
You live in a country where a Kizi isn't a particularly fast car. In most other countries a car with a 2.4 engine and 180 BHP is classed as rather quick. Other than very expensive sports cars and M3's, in the Uk there isn't much to touch it.
bootymac

KuroNekko wrote:Looks like the Kizashi now got the full "Panda" treatment as marked police cars are black and white in Japan.

[youtube][/youtube]
Someone needs to copy that vinyl treatment here! But what's up with the top hat?
Knightstruth

bootymac wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:Looks like the Kizashi now got the full "Panda" treatment as marked police cars are black and white in Japan.

[youtube][/youtube]
Someone needs to copy that vinyl treatment here! But what's up with the top hat?

The top is used for intimidation tactics. It is to scare away would be evil do-ers.

Seriously I don't know, maybe a storage unit. Looks silly though.
murcod

paininthenuts wrote:
murcod wrote:I bet they don't use them for Police chases - because that would be a bit embarrassing! :)
You live in a country where a Kizi isn't a particularly fast car. In most other countries a car with a 2.4 engine and 180 BHP is classed as rather quick. Other than very expensive sports cars and M3's, in the Uk there isn't much to touch it.
You can't be serious? You've got plethora of midsize models to choose from in the UK with a lot better performance. A lot of them feature smaller turbo charged engines.
David